Saturday, May 27, 2017

Memorial Day II

   I spent part of this morning delivering flowers to the cemeteries.  My 1st stop was at my parents' grave in St. Mary's Cemetery up the road from our house.  The grave was cleaned off of winter debris and all I had to do was pop the statue of the Virgin Mary into the pot and rearrange the flag behind it.  Perpetual care means something at St. Mary's.
   The 2nd stop was Calvary Cemetery in Herkimer.  This is where the majority of my family is buried but I had only 2 deliveries to make...my cousin, Jim Morgan and his in-laws, Mary and Frank Fiala, one of my mother's older sisters.  Calvary doesn't clean the graves quite as neatly as St. Mary's does so I was happy I had grabbed a pair of garden gloves when I left the house.  Now all three graves are ready for summer.  The clump of daylilies on the Fiala grave originally came from their backyard.  Uncle Frank was an accomplished gardener and he gave Mom many plants when my parents bought this house 55 years ago.
   The only complaint I have about delivering the plants is that the graves are all quite a walk over uneven terrain from the road.  I have enough trouble walking on even sidewalks but carrying a full flower pot is something else.  This year I set a new record...I did not trip or fall!!  Maybe I'm finally learning how to walk.
   My next stop was Walmart and it took a couple of turns around the parking lot to find a parking space.  And of course, what I was looking for was located at opposite ends of the store!  I got everything I needed to finish my cake for tomorrow...and some yarn... then stopped at Burger King to get Fanny some chicken nuggets for lunch.  (She loves their chicken nuggets!)  Now that I'm home I don't know if I'll just sit and knit or take a shower and then a nap.  No, I better knit.
  Oh, if you're the praying kind, say an extra one for an old college friend of mine who just had gall bladder surgery and now has to go thru an ERCP to make sure they got all the stones.



No comments: