Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Crazy Weather

   What a crazy week weather-wise it's going to be.  It poured last night and the house got cold and damp.  My leg ached so much I finally gave in and put some Voltaren ointment on...and pushed the 90# dog off it! (Both actions helped!!) Those damn screws in my tib & fib are the most accurate barometer I ever saw. The grass was so wet this morning I couldn't mow [poor me:)] so I sat in front of the TV and watched the Artful Detective for 3hrs and knit 2 baby hats.  After the mailman put my yarn order in the car this morning, I slipped and skidded in the mud to get it.  I though the pink would match the pink in the sweater I had started.  It was all Mary Maxim, after all, but the pinks didn't click so when we went to town today I got a skein of pale yellow to finish that sweater.  The yellows match much better and I do have yellow buttons handy. I did use the pale gray from the order to do a hat and I just cast on with the pink for another.  That will make 4 flower hats.  Next comes the flowers to use up left over yarn. (I'll stick photos here when they're done.)And  then I'll do 2 baseball hats and that will be enough hats for this week.  I want to take a quick trip to the shop on Thursday with a full stock bag and 6 hats and 1 sweater should be enough!  The weather is suppose to be decent tomorrow so I'll try to mow more lawn.  Since I can't empty the catch bag alone it means I'll have to take turns knitting and mowing!
   It's suppose to rain again on Thursday and Friday.  That's why Thursday will be a travel day.  It looks like Friday will have to be cleaning day.  Oh, how I do so like to clean house.  Not.    Saturday I want to take these flowers to the cemeteries.  One pot is for my parents' grave in St Mary's Cemetery next door to us up the road and the other 2 are for my cousin's father and grandparents in Calvary Cemetery in Herkimer.  I got them at Annutto's Greenhouse in E. Herkimer and when I noticed a hummingbird in the yard yesterday I decided to take them out of the car for a few days to see if the hummer would like a snack.  Have to keep my eyes open for that! Got to dig out the hummingbird feeder and put it up, too.
  I noticed the lilac in the backyard was blooming beautifully.  It's actually a little past prime but still
nice.  That's the last dark lilac I have.  When we
moved here in 1962 there were
clumps of lilac in every corner of the yard.  The family we bought the house from had had 6 kids and each kid had their own garden.  There are 2 light lilacs by the back door but I keep them pruned in an umbrella shape.  This big one in the back becomes a thick hedge in summer.
  If we ever get the Outback home from the mechanics the utility trailer is full of wood waiting
to be moved.  And there is still plenty of wood waiting to be cut.  I can't really complain about the wood because it helps  to keep our heating costs down and our house warm. One of the wood sheds needs to be reskinned, too.  I think Jeff is looking forward to having to do that as much as I'm looking forward to stacking wood.








No comments: