Saturday, September 19, 2015

More This and That

  
    Getting Jeff moved in has not been an easy task.  We've been at it for 3 weeks and the house is just starting to get back into shape...but by no means is everything in it's place!  There are still boxes in the parlor...but now there are spaces around them...and you can walk thru the laundry room to the washing machine without climbing over boxes!  The couch in the TV room is hiding a pile of something, but out of sight out of mind, right?
   I cleaned out (read emptied) 3 closets and that stuff is bagged and boxed in the garage waiting for Oct 15-17th so we can take it to the Town of Herkimer Garage for Trash Days.  Free dumpsters!(Last spring they even took TV's and PC's!)    I'm sure my garbage man will be disappointed to lose the income.  I'm wondering how many trips with the trailer we'll end up making?  The porch has been the 'catch-all' and that all has to go so we can put wood there.  It will be an interesting couple of days. 


Jeff made this back in Woodshop in High School

   I emptied out a couple of kitchen cupboards this week, too.  It was time for Mom's complete set of dishes from A&P or Loblaw's to find a new home...especially since they haven't been used in about 20 years.  (They're boxed up ready to go to Goodwill.) Jeff brought 5 or 6 nice tall glasses that I put in our everyday cupboard.  It will be nice to set the table with matching glasses again.  (I'm hard on glassware.)  He also brought some heavy glass mugs that he likes...which are 'safe' coz they are too heavy for me to use when full.  His spice cupboard is more exotic than mine so I found room for his turmeric and stuff!  And we now have 2 knife racks! Oh, and I found this turned wooden bowl that Jeff had made back in high school shop class for his mom.  It just needed an olive oil massage and now it's on the kitchen table in all it's glory! 
   We took one day off to go help Jeff's sister set up her new TV.  (If you remember, we had gone up to help her move furniture last month when she bought a new parlor set.)  The new TV is a 60" flat screen (so was the old one) and the old one was too heavy for her to move.  The new TV is a lot lighter and Jeff had to secure it to the table because she was afraid the cats and dogs might knock it over.  Sherry's oldest cat loves to give Fanny an 'evil eye' and Fanny just sits down and takes it.  I don't think she's sure what that black ball of fur is.

   On the garden front, we lost all our watermelons to some critters.  At first the small ones just disappeared one at a time, but then the bigger ones started to have bites taken out of them before they were dragged away. They never ripened so I'm not sure what took them...raccoons?
Eggplants and peppers from the garden.
   Jeff's Ghost Peppers have started to turn red and he's been giving away a few.  No one really believes they're as hot as he says they are.  Hope no one is too badly disappointed...or harmed. We had more than enough zucchini to share and it looks like it will be the same with the butternut squash. One of the 2 'volunteer' tomato plants (appeared one day on it's own) has about 9 nice size tomatoes on it.  Hope the nice weather holds long enough for some of them to ripen!
   We cleaned out the corn box and had the last of it with supper.  I'll take the stalks to the shop tomorrow so we can use them outside for Autumn decorations.
   My big beautiful geranium has decided to have a 2nd blooming this year and is budded out again. Not bad for an annual that was started in 2009!  It will have to be brought inside in about a month.  Hope we'll have settle down enough to find room for it by then! 
The lemon cable hoodie.
   I finally finished my two hoodies.  The first, a size 2, is a Black Sheep Hoodie with a back zipper knitted in Red Heart Frosty Green on US 7's.  (The black Sheep is on the back.)  The other one, a size 9 months, is a Cable and Seedstitch Hoodie with a back zipper knitted in Red Heart Lemon Yellow on US 7's. Both are $45 and will be available at Cooper Country, 2 Doubleday Court, Cooperstown, beginning
tomorrow.
   I put Netflix on our PC's last night so now there's another alternative to watching TV together.  It will be free for a month, then about $9 a month.  We both want to see Longmire but other than that we can't really agree on what to watch. (The Walking Dead is not on my favorites list and Downton Abby is not on Jeff's.)  We'll give it a try and then decide if we want to keep it.   Ah, the art of cohabitation....

Sorry...No Photos.  I've been having problems with my PC since before we went back to TimeWarner.   (I don't think they've had much to do with it.)  I keep getting a virus and the PC keeps freezing up.  Maybe it's Windows 10, maybe it's the sites I visit (KnitTalk, Ravelry... both knitting groups, and some online surveys), maybe it's just my PC.  Anyway, yesterday Jeff cleaned it (for the 2nd time) and started reloading apps (for the 2nd time).  Now the PC recognizes the camera and brings up the photos but won't let me download them to this blog.  Jeff promised to try to straighten this out but I'm planning to go to the library on Monday after I get my INR checked and download the photos I've been taking.  Maybe he'll have gotten the problem straighten before then, maybe not, but until then you'll just have to use your imagination.













No comments: