Thursday, July 18, 2013

And the Joy Continues

Oh, what a week it's been... so far!  After being T-boned at a Stop sign Monday morning, I got to learn about the exciting world of Insurance.  Since the other driver was ticketed for blowing the stop sign, my insurance company said his company would probably pay for a rental car for me but when I got to the rental office on Tuesday, they had not heard of me or the accident (didn't the driver call them??) but if I wanted to rent a car, they would be happy to help me...with $350 security upfront plus $65/day.   I made it to Jeff's before becoming totally hysterical. Let's blame the heat but poor Jeff, he didn't deserve that! After calming down, we went to the nearby dollar store to get some water and soda, called the taxi company that I had used earlier to get to town and went home.  I felt like I was being sent to Siberia! I called my insurance company and gave them the other guy's insurance info off the partial accident report I had gotten from the police which had been my 1st stop when I gotten to town. (The report was incomplete coz the p olice computer was down) and tried to keep busy and not think about living in the little house in the little woods without a little car.

Yesterday the saga continued.  The other insurance company called and what the guy was saying smelled like compost...no, that was the horse and cow compost Jeff's using in the garden, we were sitting outside taking a break from yard work.  Any way, I put the phone on speaker and handed it to Jeff.  The other driver (notice the absence of derogatory terms describing his family orgins, sexuality and/or personality) still had not called them so they could not authorize a rental for me. They'd get an adjuster there as soon as they could...but they'd pay storage at Skinner's only to Monday...after that, if the adjuster hadn't made it there it was my responsibility.  Oh, and if they decided the car was 'totaled' it was also my responsibility to dispose of it.  Jeff and that agent had a nice little discussion about about the car, my mechanical heart valve, etc and in the end the agent said he'd call for an adjuster as soon as he got off the phone with us. My next phone call was to my agent bringing him up to date, then we called Skinner's. The folks there had never heard of disposal being the owner's responsibility but had a couple of suggestions...they would sell it for us as older Subaru's sell well regardless of their condition or they could get a door and fix my car.  Their mechanic is going to inspect the car as soon as the adjuster sees it.  If he and Jeff decided it will be safe to drive we'll think about fixing it.  Jeff and I talked about it last night and if we can get the car back on the road for $1000 or so we'll probably do that.  If the insurance settlement is for more than that (book is $3500-4500), I'll bank the difference and after fixing the car, wait until Spring, then think about getting a newer one.  In the past year I've put about $2700 in the car upgrading/replacing the cradle, fuel funnel, rear structs, front axles...and yes, I have the original statements from the mechanics which didn't please the other insurance agent one bit. So now we're waiting to hear...something from somebody!

We worked outside as much as we could yesterday but the heat was awful  I got part of the lawn mowed before the insurance lessons began and Jeff took apart pallets in preparation to making more raised garden beds.
He's slowly replacing the in-ground garden rows with raised beds.  Keeps the dog away from the plants and lets him use a modification on square-foot gardening. I have a lot of photos to download but I'm waiting until after the weather cools off a little (and I'll include a photo of the injured car).  

I'm scheduled to work in the shop in Cooperstown this Friday and next Tuesday but without a car that ain't gonna happen so I spent part of yesterday morning calling other members looking for a sub. Got one for Tuesday but Friday is still a problem. Judy suggested trying asking several members to restock that day and work a couple of hours each and is working on that. 


ONT:  another ladies tank top but it's been too hot to knit for long.

Oh, and to end the day an just the right note, while we were watching the original Stargate movie last night...with all the lights off, windows open and many fans on, we tripped a breaker and were thrown into darkness.  Jeff went down stairs and got most of the lights on but the parlor seems to have shorted out.  Something else to worry about.

Good thing I don't have an INR scheduled for this week.  Stress throws the ratio off the chart and if this week hasn't been stress full, what has?!

No comments: