Monday, December 1, 2008

Our Great NYC Adventure

We (Sue-my boss, Nancy-the children's librarian, Linda, her mom-Millie and me) went to NYC Saturday.

We left KMar
t in Herkimer at 7am, stopped once and made it to NYC by 11:30am. I worked on a tabi sock for the girl who does my hair and nails on the way. I got the heel turned by the time we got to New Jersey. (I was surprised to learn you have to go thru New Jersey to get to NYC...at least if you go thru the Lincoln tunnel. I don't remember doing it that way before.)
The views across the river were unreal. What a cit
y!


After walkin
g around for awhile we had lunch at Dean & Deluca's and made it to the 1pm show at Radio City. It was fantastic!! Our seats were in the 1st row of the mezzanine...right at the railing..couldn't have been better. (For $105 each they should have been, right?) We all loved it. 2 1/2 hours nonstop music and dancing. WOW! The 5 of us want to grow up to be Rockettes. Think any of us have a chance?? (Remember Linda's mom is 82!)

After the show we went to the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller
Center...67 stories up!! The cars looked smaller than Matchbox cars! The views from up there are unbelievable. Then we went downstairs to the concourse and managed to get lost looking for a bathroom. No one told us the concourse spirals down and as you keep walking down hallways looking in store windows you're going down! Finally we found a Ladies Room and started back up. Made it to a door thru which we could see St Patrick's across the street-our next stop-but couldn't exit. Ended up walking back thru the concourse about 2 blocks until we finally found an exit. Then we had to walk back the 2 blocks to St. Patrick's! Sue was really getting tired about then.

After visiting St Pat's, Sue wanted to sit down so I asked some cops in front of St Pat's where we could go to eat. (Actually I said 'where could 5 hicks from upstate' go to eat) After they stopped laughing they sent us to a burger joint across from St. Pat's. The place was clean, the food was decent and the prices were reasonable. Not bad, huh? (I remember to always ask a cop when I need help.)

We spend the last 2 hours of our stay walking around, shopping, and watchi
ng the ice skaters at Rockefeller Center. Did you know it cost $25 to skate for 30 minutes there? The big Christmas tree wasn't lit but it was decorated and we took pics of it anyway. We went into a store called Anthropologie that was really different! The stock looked like retro (40-50's) but was all new!! Their window displays and main inside display was old, long knitting needles and the most beautiful cream and white balls of yarn. Now that's what we all can do with our stash if we don't want to knit it!

We tried to go to a mini-brewery down the street from Radio City while we waited for our bus but it was a 1/2hr wait to get in. We did go at a place called the Cafe Duke that was part restaurant, deli, bakery..it had chinese, italian, american, vegetarian buffets-everything looked and smelled so good! We should have gone there or the mini-brewery for supper. Instead we settled something to drink while we waited for the bus. Sue, Linda and Millie had bought pocketbooks from a street vendor...in the dark...so they wanted to see what they actually bought.

Finally our group started to form around our bus stop and we exchanged stories and showed contents of shopping bags. Everyone was talking and we all seemed to really enjoy our day in the city. Nearly everyone agreed it was a nice place to visit but none of us wanted to live there. Are we hicks or what?

I think I was asleep by the time we got out of the tunnel in NJ...coming to long enough to buy a pepsi at a McD's when the bus stopped. I had a headache and Nancy gave me some Tylenol and I was out again until we got to Herkimer. I was home and in my own bed by 12:30am. A very good day. I'm glad I went. But today I'm tired and I think I'll go take a nap. Maybe dream of being a Rockette! Fred's Maizy socks will have to wait until tomorrow to get finished!

No comments: