Thursday, December 12, 2019

Jeff's Birthday Socks...A Little Late!

   Yesterday I finally finished the 1st sock of a pair I was making for Jeff's birthday last March 1st when I suddenly put it away.   It sat unfinished in my stash
 for months!  When I pulled it out yesterday and started working on it again I couldn't remember why I had done it until I pulled out the 2nd skein.  See, Jeff wears a size US 12 shoe and is about 6'3".  It takes an entire skein of sock yarn to make 1 sock so I always buy 2 skeins...that way I'm sure the numbers match and the self-patterning/striping will.  Well, these 2 skeins of Patons Kroy Sock yarn in Sunburst did not match.  Oh, the numbers did, and the name did but the colorways didn't.  At first I thought one skein had been wound up backwards so I rewound it.  Nope, the colorways still didn't come anywhere near matching.  All I can figure out is that the machine operator started to wind one of those skeins in a different place in the colorway.  Jeff said who cares?  My feet will be in my shoes!  Well, I care!  I like my wild and crazy patterned socks to match!  The only way I can get this pair to do that is to 'cut and paste' the colorway but since I had about 2" left over after I BO I'm not doing to try that!
   To make matters worse, I was later going thru my stash looking for something when I came across another pair of unfinished socks I had been working on for Jeff.  These were done with Patons Kroy FX sock yarn in Chambray and 1 sock was still on the needles!  (THAT'S where those 2 short circulars were!!)  This time the colorway was different.  The blue gray in the 1st skein...and sock...had changed to blue brown in the 2nd! Again, he said So What?  In fact, Kroy FX is his favorite sock yarn and he was thrilled to get another pair especially since they discontinued that yarn.  
   I am so disappointed with Patons Kroy sock yarn right now that I don't know if I'll continue to buy it.  I've got another pair of socks in Sweet Stripes I'm doing for a friend that are coming out a match and I have 2 skeins each of Landscape Stripes and Route 66 that are going to be socks for Jeff and me that I have my fingers crossed over.   But after that I'm going to have to decide if I want to continue to chance getting matchable skeins or switch to another sock yarn.  I just joined KnitCrates...or rather SockCrates...so I'll wait and see how that yarn is.  There isn't a yarn shop anywhere near me so I have to order yarn and take chances.  Patons Kroy Sock yarn was always so reliable.

No comments: