Thursday, April 6, 2017

What A Day!

     Jeff went to town on Tuesday and was stopped 4 times because the license plate had fallen off the front of the Outback!  And the first guy gave him a ticket for an expired Inspection Sticker, too!! (It had expired in Sept.!!!)  Let's just say he was not a happy camper when he got home.  Neither of us liked the idea of him being stuck in this Little House in the Little Woods without a vehicle so the planned stop at DMV that was on my to-do list because the registration on the Forester was due in April got moved to the top of the list and I stopped at the there about 9am. When I got there I looked at the front window and discovered that the inspection on the Forester had expired in March!
   I hate going in that building.  I left my purse in the car because it was easier than trying to explain why I have scissors and a pocketknife and put the change from my pocket into the pan but the sensor still went off!  I told the officer I had screws and a plate in my leg but he decided it was the eyelets on my winter shoes!  Anyway, with  4 clerks working and 3 people in line, in no time I renewed the registration for the Forester and got the form to re-register the Outback and turn-in the remaining plate.  Called Jeff from the car on my new cell phone to tell him to take the plate off the car and call Hillslide to make an appointment to have the cars inspected and headed to Ilion to have my taxes done.  I was about 40 minutes early  but I didn't care.  I only had to wait about 15 minutes before it was my turn and a volunteer from the AARP did my tax return for free.  Got a great refund due to all the money I had had to spend paying down my mortgage to refinance it...and remove Mom's name from it...before they would lower the payment.  By the time I got home Jeff had that poor old license plate off the Outback so I just filled in the form and went back to the DMV.  My shoes set the sensors off again!  And the line was considerable longer.  Got the new plates and went home.  In no time I got my stock bags in the car, visited the bathroom and headed for Cooperstown.  Going through Herkimer I decided to grab an early lunch(11:30) but so had a lot of other people because the drive-thru at Arby's was really backed up!  I went thru the empty drive-thru at Burger King and got a Crispy Chicken sandwich (which wasn't crispy and ended up in the trash at Price Chopper) and a soda and headed south on Rte 28.  I tried to keep an eye out for Troopers and to stay at the speed limits and made it to the shop by 12:15. I realized I really hadn't worked very hard this winter and I think my display needs more...the hangers and hat holders are all full but it looks skimpy. There are a few more sweaters waiting for buttons that were suppose to be here yesterday but didn't make it.  Once they arrive I'll have more to fill up the space. And maybe I'll actually be able to finish another shawl.  I finished 1 this winter.  I never had so much trouble with lace before.  Guess I just wasn't in the mood to knit fancy lacy patterns.
   The shop slowly filled up with most of the members bringing their stock in yesterday but I wasn't the only one who didn't plan well as there are still some empty shelves. We had a member decided not to return at the last leaving her space temporary empty...but that will fill in naturally.  There are new displays like this one for
the wooden cutting boards that replaces a storage unit.  Looks  much, much better than a solid green door!  We have 2 new members...a baker and a candy maker.  Several of us have already decided our treat of the day when we work will be a slice of homemade bread with maple syrup or honey followed up by a piece of chocolate. 
   We had a very productive meeting at the Cooperative Extension Bldg. on Lake St. and an excellent covered dish supper! There were several different salads, veggie dishes and pulled pork, baked macaroni, fried chicken, shrimp cocktail...and then there were the desserts. The Carrot Cake was fantastic! And the donuts!! The great food prepared us all for the rough job of filling in the work scheduled. (My first work day of the season will be Monday, 4/10.) Most members work 1 or 2 days a month...except us foolish ones who split days and because we only work half a day at a time, end up working more.   But going down more often helps to keep the shelves full.    
   Brenda brought my bear and even Jeff said it was
TJ the Velvet Bear
'nice' (high praise from him)and suggested I keep it away from the dog so right now it's sitting on my dresser amidst all my stuff and next to the stuff animal Jeff bought Mom.
I brought a bowl of the pulled pork home for Jeff (so I wouldn't have to cook) and he liked it! Fanny ignored me when I first got home but now we're friends again...and Jeff did not share any of the pulled pork with her. 
    It was a busy day for me. I was on the road from 9am to 8pm.  Wonder how many miles I covered? To the DMV, then to Ilion, back home, back to the DMV, and home again, to Cooperstown, then from the shop to Price Chopper(for the fixings for the tossed salad that was my contribution to the covered dish supper) and back to the shop, to the Cooperative Ext bldg. on Lake St and finally back home. I'm tired. I think it will be an early night. I'm not going anywhere tomorrow or Saturday...got to have the Forester inspected on Sunday!  I don't want a ticket for being out of Inspection.
p.s.  Got a email notice that those Rainbow Tomato seeds have been shipped and I should receive them in 10-45 days!

No comments: