Thursday, February 9, 2017

Will it Snow...or Not?

     While NYC and the rest of the east coast is getting heavy snowfall today we are...not.  We've got maybe an inch or so of new snow and nothing seems to be coming down at the moment.  But, it's cold!  The last few days temperatures have been in the 40's but today it's not even above freezing!  We had quite a lot of broken branches the other day when there was freezing rain. And something would pound on the house periodically thru the day...it sounded like the screen door was slamming against the railing...but we couldn't see what was hitting.  Jeff even went outside a couple of times to check but couldn't find anything.  And it only happened on the east side of the house.  The screens in the east facing windows were coated with ice, too.  We found only broken branches.  None of the stuff that Jeff didn't get put away, just stowed under things, had moved.  They couldn't...they're frozen to the ground! Right now I'm being serenaded by birds!  And firetrucks... that have just gone by heading east on Rte 5.  (Remember, this time of year, we can see the traffic moving up there!)
    I'm bored with working on baby sweaters so I decided to switch to something else for awhile and I've stayed busy the last few days working on shawls.  I had some yarn, Caron's Simply Soft, an acrylic that I used to make Jeff's sister, Sherry, a couple of cowls for Christmas.   I really liked the way it draped so I decided to use up what was left and and just buy more yarn to finish the shawls as I needed them.  The 1st shawl is called Gallatin's Scarf and I'm doing it in jade.

Gallatin Scarf

 Since I'm using inter-
changeable needles from KnitPicks when I ran out of yarn I just unscrewed the tips, screwed on the
stoppers and put this shawl aside.  Then I screwed the tips onto
another cable and started




Shallowtail shawl

shawl #2, called Shallowtail, in light teal.  I used up that yarn yesterday so I repeated the tip replacement procedure and started shawl #3 which is called Lace Edged and I'm doing it
 

Lace Edge Shawl w/o the edging!
in bone.  I've got almost an entire skein of that yarn so I shouldn't run out of it.  Right now it's a 'non-thinking' shawl...no fancy lace stitches...yet!
(I found these 3 patterns on Ravelry.com).  I'd like to do one more shawl and start the year in the shop with 4 but I haven't picked a pattern...or yarn yet.  Last year I did 2 shawls
and the sister of one of our members bought both!  Hope she's in the market for another shawl this spring!  The shop opens for it's 43rd season in 57 days on April 7th!
   Jeff seems to be doing well with the  steroid injection in his right hip.  He isn't limping and the pain in the hip has decreased...but now he's aware of the pain in his back and shoulder!  He has an appointment for another series of injections (he gets 5 at a time) next Monday.  He may get steroids in his shoulder but he's has had them in his back and I don't know if the doctor will give them again.  We'll have to wait and see.  He's MD has also added Januvia to his diabetes medication.  He's only taken it for a few day so he's still waiting to see if it makes a difference.
   Oh, the sun is shining so bright but the temperature is still well below freezing!  I guess knitting by the fire is a good way to spend the rest of the day.
  (Yarn shelves at Walmart are almost empty!  Got some bullshit line from a stocker that people are buying it as fast as they put it out. Do I believe it?  Not on your life!  I think I'll order the yarn I want from their website.  Another reason not to go into the local Walmart.)3pm, 2/10/17
  

No comments: