Wednesday, February 1, 2017

What Went Bump In The Night

   Jeff and I went to a meeting at the Town hall last night for a home improvement grant.  This was the 2nd round of meetings for this grant and there were about 20 homeowners there.  Because the meeting was scheduled to start at 6:30pm, I had suggested we get something to eat in town, either before or after the meeting.  Since Jeff had run errands in the morning and had stopped at the old Donna's Diner near our house for a late breakfast and was disappointed with the quality and quantity of the food served, we decided to eat before we went and decided to try Roma's Pizza on Main St. in Herkimer... just because it's was around the block from the Town Hall.  I ordered a small pepperoni pizza (what else?) and Jeff got a cheeseburger and onion ring. The pizza was good...thin and crispy. I had to fold the slices in half to keep the cheese and pepperoni from sliding off!  Jeff's cheeseburger surprised him!  It had 2 patties with lettuce and onions, topped with 2 slices of cheese on a toasted bun and his onion rings were real onions sliced, battered and deep fried.  The coffee was Keurig which Jeff considers just fair but he did have 2 cups. I had a fountain Coke.  The bill was $24.  The place was clean and the staff very friendly...even the other customers were friendly!  Since we both enjoyed our meal when the waitress told us about the Friday fish fry we decided we will probably try it sometime this month.
   The meeting was informative and we came home with the application which I will fill out and collect the information it asks for.  Visibility was low because it was still snowing when we came out and we took our time going home, getting here in time to see the President announce his choice for SCOTUS.  We watched all the hoopla from the liberals trying to discredit his choice but honestly, it sounded like a bunch of elementary school kids arguing.  Jeff continued to watch but I grabbed the book I'm reading, Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey, and climbed into bed. After a few minutes Fanny was curled up next to me.  I read for a couple of hours, Jeff came in and said he had heard enough and was going on the computer.   Eventually, I got tired of moving the book closer and closer to my face to keep the print in focus (Jeff has already lectured me on having my cataracts taken care of and I called last week and am now on the waiting list for the new optometric surgeon) and I turned off the light and went to sleep.
   Around 3am Fanny decided she had to go outside, so we got up and I opened the doors for her.  Boy, was it cold!  And she didn't stay out very long.  Once she was back inside I climbed back into bed and waited for her to finish her inspection rounds (the TV was off, no food in her bowl, Jeff was quiet) and come back to bed.  As she paced around my bed deciding where to jump on, my hutch started to sway and, as I sat up in bed and watched, fall over...off of the 3-drawer stand it's been on since we bought it in 1968!  It looked like someone had pushed it!  It fell with a loud crash and I screamed.  Fanny got out of the way as everything on the hutch hit the floor and Jeff came running in.  He righted the hutch and I sent him back to bed.  Fanny went with him!  When I stopped shaking I got up and got the broom and started to investigate what had broken.  A Royal Daulton Brambly Hedge Tea Mug(winter) that I bought when Mom and I made those stuffed mice in Victorian-era clothes, a pressed glass mug that I bought in the 70's at some antique store (maybe the last time Ro visited?), a plaster dog bank that was also circa 1970 and a dog statue I made in Art Class at SUC Brockport.  Most of the other things on the hutch were soft (a lot of dogs and Eeyore's) and books.  All in all, I was lucky.  The Tea Mug was the most expensive...according to Amazon a replacement goes for $59. 
It was a clean break. I think I can glue it back together.
And Fanny could have been serious hurt if the hutch had fallen on her.... I think Jeff may have to get some metal braces for the back of the hutch and fasten it to the drawers.  I don't want to have it fall again.  Oh, it was over an hour before Fanny would come into my room, and almost 2 hours before she would get on my bed again.  I guess having an oak hutch nearly fall on you can upset even a dog!

No comments: