Sunday, February 26, 2017

Spring?? Winter???

       Our 'spring' weather has disappeared and winter has returned.  Temperatures dropped from low 70's Friday to just barely 40's today.  Ah, the great Northeast.... We had wind and thunder-with lightening and heavy downpours yesterday afternoon and early evening.  The lights flickered once or twice but stayed on!  Jeff had gone to town for bread et al and he said it sounded like the roof at Walmart was going to collapse!  
    Fanny was frightened and crawled between
the backs of my legs and my chair...under the afghan...with her head in my yarn basket during the worst of it.  I was working on Jeff's birthday socks and wasn't too pleased with the weather myself.  After Jeff got home Fanny deserted me and sat by him as he watched a movie on his PC.   I watched TV alone all night...a marathon of 'As Time Goes By' with Judi Dench on PBS...and actually finished sock #1!  Had him try it on to make sure the top ribbing wasn't too tight.  Perfect fit!  This morning I started sock #2...the stripes are in the same rotation but the
Birthday socks in Felici's Lost Lakes from KnitPicks
first one wasn't as thick so they're not going to match exactly up the leg.  He says he doesn't care...but I do.  I'm really disappointed but I just realized it may self-adjust because that narrow blue stripe in the middle of the foot may not repeat in the 2nd sock.  Just have to wait and see.
   Jeff's started collecting starter trays, bags of seed
starting soil and of course, seeds!  He's even had me

collect and save the seeds from some red
peppers he bought at Hannaford's last week.  They looked like Bell peppers but they were longer and just generally larger.  They were very tender, too.  This is what
I gathered from 2 or 3 peppers...not much, huh?  I think they may have been hybrids.  We'll dry the seeds and plant them and see what happens.  Hope we can get some to grow.
   In the meantime, I'll just continue to knit...gotta get those socks finished by Wednesday-Jeff's b-day...and get back to knitting for the shop which reopens in 38 days on April 6th!.  I want to finish the size 6mo baby set I've got started in Mary Maxim's Baby Blankie Strawberry yarn.
Baby cardigan
It's a self-patterning acrylic yarn that has 2 patterns and 2 stripe repeats

besides the solid color.  I've had to cut yarn several times but more than 1 pattern in a sweater that small was too much!  The hat will have the same pattern, too. I'm about ready to do the bottom ribbing and bind off the sweater.  The Baby Blankie comes in a 10 1/2 oz skein so even with all the cutting I'll be able to do 2 or 3 sweaters with just 1 skein of yarn.  It's also available in yellow, green, lavender and blue so I think I have be ordering more of it! 
  (Oh, Jeff bought us both new Tracphones for his birthday!  Remember, he had mine with him when he fell into the pond when night fishing alone last fall.  But he didn't wait for the first of the month so he only had enough extra cash on him for 2 phones and 1 time card. My phone is still in it's box waiting to be activated! I guess I'll have to get a time card the next time I go to Walmart.) 


No comments: