Thursday, November 17, 2016

What I've Been Up To

    I've tried to stay busy this week while waiting to see the orthopedist on Wednesday.  I thought I'd stay off my ankle as much as I could get away with and just knit.  I made a penguin hat and a flower hat and a lacey scarf.  Then I cleaned out my Swap Box and found some yarn that I had received in swaps with other knitters.  One was a hank of baby alpaca and silk that might make a nice man's scarf so I took the time to wind it into a ball, another was a hank of deep blue merino that I started to wind up but it's really fine...almost fingering...and I gave up about half way thru!  I also found 2 skeins of lime green bamboo that would make a nice spring scarf.  Anyway, nothing inspired me so all the yarn went into a bag and back into the box.
   Last week I got a phone call from a woman who wanted to order a pair of baby mittens.  I looked at Walmart for the yarn and found nothing that I liked and then checked JoAnn Fabric's on line.  On Nov. 7th, I found something I liked online but it wasn't available in the store so I had to order it.  I've been tracking it since Nov. 11 when it was shipped and was told it would be delivered Nov. 21st! Here's the trip my little ball of yarn took after arriving at FedEx in Perrysburg Ohio on Nov 11 at 11am. It spent the weekend there, not leaving until Tues 11/15 at 11am when it was shipped to Martinsburg, WV, arriving Wed., 11/16 at 2am and leaving at 4:30am for Windsor CT.  It arrived in Windsor at 8am and at 10:30am it was transferred to USPS.  It was shipped to Herkimer at 5:30am today.  It should be delivered to me tomorrow or Saturday.  Just for the record, Perrysburg, Ohio is 557 miles west of Herkimer and the trip should take 8 hr., 27mins.  I guess that the crazy trip...and 4 day vacation in Perrysburg... justifies the amount of money they charge for shipping.  I just wish it would get here!
It was delivered this morning (Fri., 11/18.).  If only it could talk!!  What a trip it had! And here it is knit up into thumbless mittens for a 1 year old. I am suppose to take them to the shop tomorrow but
we are suppose to have a winter storm with INCHES of snow!  We'll see when they actually get delivered!!

    My appointment with the orthopedist, Paul Kiawitter, was yesterday afternoon and it was short and sweet.  He said my ankle looks better in person than it does on an X-ray.  He thinks my problem is arthritis...probably aggravated by the 'junk' that was used to hold my tib and fib together 7 years ago.  He also thinks it may be time to remove the 'junk'.  Anyway, that's not his decision, so he's referring me to another orthopedist at Bassett.  I got the 'first available' appointment with Briana Calore, orthopedic surgeon, on January 6th in Cooperstown.  Since I can't...can I?...go on staying off my ankle as much as I have, she may have a different opinion than he had.  We just have to wait and see.  Anyway, I will delay my annual 'pick up my unsold stock' trip and combine it with a trip to see Dr. Calore in January.  In the meantime, my house will not be the cleanest...but it never is...but the coffeepot will be on, the woodfire will be warm the TV room and anyone who stops by will be welcomed...as long as you don't complain about the condition of the house!

No comments: