Tuesday, October 11, 2016

OWLS

 I have been inspired to knit owls.  It's strange what inspires me.  It's been owls this weekend.  There are a lot of owl patterns out there, I guess.  Anyway I decided it was time to put owls on a sweater and got a skein of Red Heart Warm Brown and 3 flat wooded buttons and started a size 1 pullover with a Henley front.  Those size 1's go fast and I had the sleeves finished before I knew it.  (Well, not really, it took 1 day to do the yoke and sleeves, but that's still pretty fast!)  Before I reattached the yarn to start the body of the sweater I remembered to thread on my beads for the owls' eyes.  I still had 2 or 3 old-fashion flimsy metal threaders that I got when I did the Hogwarts Express scarf last month.  I thought I could get away with using them to thread my beads onto my worsted weight acrylic yarn.  Wrong.  The scarf had been done with a washable wood sock weight yarn and was a lot finer.  The threader worked very well pulling it thru the beads.  The heavier acrylic worsted yarn was not so easy to pull thru and I destroyed the last 2 threaders before I saw the dental floss in my bead box and remembered why it was there. Voila. My beads were threaded on my yarn and I finished the sweater working in the owls and placing their eyes  were they belong.  I really like the way the sweater finished up...and Jeff says these owls actually remind him of owls (an improvement over what he thought about the owls on the scarf but we won't go there.)  I used all the brown yarn and

then switched to white yarn and did a Snow owl hat.  I'm ready to mail the hats and sweater to Judy and she'll put them in the shop later this week.  Now I have to come up with something to work on.  We have plenty of outside work to do but I like to knit early in the morning and after supper so I better find something.  I'm kind of inspired to do some more knitting with beads.  I saw an interesting scarf with a beaded design worked in...but I'm not sure where I saw it.  I know I saved it...but where....

Judy got the package yesterday and took the sweater and hats to the shop this morning.  Cheryl, who was working, had seen the photos here and on Facebook and thought they even looked better in person...hat/sweater?  Anyway, Judy took them over to her hairdresser's and got another wave of approval from the ladies who were there this morning.  Somewhere along the way another color suggestion (gray) was offered and I went shopping for gray yarn.  All Walmart had on the shelves were pewter and dark heather so I went online when I got back home and ordered some soft gray, really a silver, from JoAnn Fabrics.  Should have it by Monday.  In the meantime, I think I'll try to do a couple of Christmas stockings for the shop10-13-16

No comments: