Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Gotta Keep Knitting

   Today was an adventure in automotive expenses. 
   I had an appointment with my mechanic to have 2 new tires installed on my 2009 Subaru Forester.  Jeff and I had talked about it with Dave and we came to the conclusion it didn't pay to have a car that would go thru just about any road condition if you didn't have good tires, so we agreed to order a pair of mid-priced tires thru Dave.  Today was the day to have them installed.  Jeff also pointed out that I needed back brakes, too.  OK, I said, while you have it up in the air, you might as well do an oil change, too.   We took the car down to Dave yesterday afternoon because today was also the day the new chimney pipe was going to be installed on the woodstove. More on that tomorrow...complete with photos!

  About 10am Dave called to say that he had a deal for us.  By mistake his distributor had delivered 4 high-end studded winter tires to him and they would fit my car...if I wanted them.  I could have all 4 for the same price as the 2 all season-tires I had ordered.  I woke Jeff up and he nixed the idea.  He doesn't like stuffed tires for several reasons...you have to have another set of tires for summer use, he didn't think they'd do me any good and he saw a really bad accident once where a stud flew loose and killed a child...so we passed up on the offer.  Dave also told me that the brakes were worse than
he first thought and I needed new rotors and calipers in the front and back.  This was going to get more expensive than I had planned.  I told him I wasn't planning on front and back brakes and he said 'not to worry'.
   That turned out to be the motto for the day.  The total at the mechanics came to over $1000.00 and while I was able to pay half today he kept saying 'don't worry'.  Unfortunately, I am.  I hate unexpected bills.  I hope I can pay it off next month.  Gotta keep knitting!!

No comments: