Sunday, October 9, 2016

How Memories are made

Add caption
   One of the members of the shop makes fantastic teddy bears and some of the best ones are from re-cycled clothing/blankets/etc. , and since I decided it was time to do something with my mom's wedding dress...a velvet gown she made herself for her 1948 wedding...(and kept in the cedar chest ever since...I think I asked once when I was in college and could still fit into the gown if I could wear it for Halloween and she said no.)I decided it was time to have the gown made into a bear.  Brenda...the crafter...called it 'vintage'...and asked if I had something to trim the bear.  Couldn't find her veil but I found Dad's bow tie!  Then I was texting Brenda and talking to another friend and decided to look for something to she could use to make a vest for the bear to wear and be decorated with those
covered buttons that run
down the gowns back.  Well, I looked in the cedar chest again and this time found the raspberry silk shantung dress that Mom wore when she was matron of honor for her sister.  So I'm going to have a beautiful memory bear by Brenda Petty made out of my mom's velvet wedding gown wearing a vest of raspberry silk shantung made from the matron of honor's dress from my aunt's...and godmother... wedding...and wearing the bowtie from my father's wedding tux.  And that sure beats letting everything stay in the cedar chest and rot.






No comments: