Thursday, August 4, 2016

Life Goes On

   Yesterday I mowed some of the lawn...takes 3 days to do it all so I did the hard part, the hill, first...after we ran errands around town.  There was still a 'Boil Water' order in Herkimer and the water machine where we get cold water to use to make Crystal Light drinks wasn't working.  Today we've got to get a couple of gallons of water...our 'drink bottles' are empty and it's suppose to be hot and humid the rest of this week.  We've also got to go to calling hours for an old family friend.  I promised Jeff 'Supper Out' if he went with me.
   I'm on my 2nd baby sweater this week.  The first one was a pink flowers and lace on lavender
size 6 months setIt didn't take long to finish.  Now I'm working on a pretty mint sweater, also a size 6months, but haven't decided on the trim color yet.  I've got to do a couple baseball hats just to be safe since they sell so well!  Then I've got to do a couple of hoodies.
   Jeff's disappointed with the garden because of the amount of rain we've been getting.  While most of New York state is in a drought, the Mohawk Valley isn't.  We've received 3.81" in July, bringing our rainfall up to 20.18" for the year, not far behind the average 24.05".  Since our major crop is potatoes, we won't know if the rainfall has hurt or helped us till we dig them up.  The plants look good growing nice and green and bushy but that doesn't predict how the potatoes are doing underground.  On the other hand, the basil and parsley are doing well. Here's what I

picked the other day.  Boy, does it smell good!
It's been a little difficult drying it with all the rain we've gotten this week but I can always use the dehydrator.  My grandmother use to put it in her oven and let the pilot light dry it.  Can't do that with an electric stove.
  Oh, the electronic mouse repellant seems to work.  Still no mice...and we have a funky night light! 
   Oh, Jeff is worried about the economy of Herkimer.  Last night he ran out of cigarettes (a fate worst than death?) and made an emergency run to Walmart for a pack.  It was about 11:30pm and he was shocked to find the bars (Pete's, Stoney's, Belly Up) and pizza places on Main St closed.  A nice summer night and they were all closed!  He couldn't believe it.

No comments: