Thursday, April 21, 2016

When Things Go Wrong

   I'm waiting for this week to get better.  It all started Monday morning when I had to do a INR...the first one I've done by myself... and I ran into some trouble.  Well, not exactly trouble, just nerves and I ended using 6 test strips before I got an error-free reading.  I kept following the instructions but the first 5 times the monitor timed out before I had gotten enough blood on the strip...and once you've got blood on the strip the monitor says 'error' and the strip is no good.  Finally, I massaged my finger until I had a nice big blob of blood sitting on it, then I hit the button on the monitor and waited for the signal to drip the blood onto the strip.  I quickly turned my hand over and PLOP the blood dropped right where it was suppose to!  I calmly hit the 2nd button and waited for the machine to give me a reading...2.7 (my normal reading) came up.  I called that in and had to admit...when asked...how many strips I had used and then listen to a min-lecture on telephoning for help when I need it (as if it would.)  Sharon, the nurse at the clinic at Bassett, was much more encouraging than the one on the telephone.  And the monitor company wants me to test weekly but Sharon told me to do it bi-monthly.  So that's over until May 9th.
  I finally finished my shawls but because they are knitted out of Red Heart acrylic they can't be blocked.  They look ok but more like scarves than shawls.  Oh, well.  Then I tried to knit an adult sweater.  I had some cotton but I couldn't get the gauge right using the needles the pattern called for so I changed needles. That didn't help so I changed needles again. Finally I got the right combination but after 8 rows I couldn't keep the pattern straight.  So, then I changed yarn and that kept the pattern thru round 13 but I lost it after that.  I don't really like doing a ladies summer sweater in acrylic yarn so I'm not too upset about it.  Later I found some cotton yarn in a pretty lemon color (in the right weight and on sale) on the Patternworks site so I decided to order it.  We'll see how that works out.  If it doesn't I can always use the cotton yarn for baby bibs.  I think.
   Hey, I managed to fry Italian chicken...or Angie's chicken...for supper tonight without any problems so maybe my troubles are finally over.  Let's hope so.  Maybe I'll give that sweater another try....

 

No comments: