Friday, December 26, 2014

The Day After

   Ah, Christmas is over and was enjoyed by all, expect maybe, the mouse who was caught and released... thrown  outside...with Sherry's help.  Jeff laughed and said I knew you could do it.  All I did was drop a small box over it and use a card to keep it in the box on the way out.  Fanny wanted to help but Sherry wouldn't let her near it.  It was mild enough outside that the mouse...after shaking off the landing....left on it's own.  Hope it found a new home...just not in mine.
   We had a good dinner just not a traditional one (opps, I forgot to cook the squash) steak and baked potatoes, onions, hot biscuits and gravy,  with pumpkin pie and Italian cookies for dessert.  My cousin Ed brought wine and Sherry chocolates...both perfect for Christmas! Fanny spent dinner under the table next to Jeff but finally reached out to check out Ed and Sherry and found out that Sherry was willing to pass down bites of steak...but not Ed!  One glass of wine was enough for me...after dinner I dozed off as we sat by the fire and talked.  When everyone had gone home I tried watching TV but started to doze off again and ended up going to bed around 9pm.  (Jeff had spent Christmas Eve trying to download something on my PC...working at it until 6am!  Fanny kept him company and at one point woke me up when she started barking and growling at something...maybe the mouse?)  I left all the dirty dished soaking in the sink!  My Christmas present to myself!!  
   I finally finished Jeff's socks Christmas Eve in the afternoon ...that's an accomplishment since I usually get them done Christmas night.  Remember they're a size 12 for a 6'3" man.  Took 2 1/2 skeins of sock yarn on a US 2!  Patons Kroy Socks FX in Clover Colors (orange, green, blue, red).  He likes the heavier weight.  I did a pair of socks for Ed in Patons Kroy Socks in Grey Brown Marble...suitable for everyday wear.  For Sherry, this year I did a lacy cowl in Knit Picks Comfy...a cotton...Fingering in Sea Foam on US 4's.  (She doesn't like wools.) Everyone was pleased with their knitted presents.  I've got to finish another lacy cowl for a swap with a friend...and mail it...before I can pick out sock yarn for ME!  I think I'll aim for 2 or 3 pairs of socks out of Hawthorne Yarn superwash wool from Knit Picks.  Then it's back to work, knitting for next season for the shop in Cooperstown.  Until then I think there's time for another cuppa (cup of tea) by the fire and a couple of chapters of a Kerry Greenwood mystery. 
 
    

No comments: