Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Always Work on the Farm

      I decided to splurge today for supper and bought some ground beef at Hannaford's... $6 for 1 1/3#'s but it was good and we haven't had hamburgers in this house for quite awhile.  My cousin Ed and Jeff's sister Sherry had come over for supper yesterday, Memorial Day,  and we had an inside picnic with oven fried chicken, potato salad and veggie salad both from Hannaford's (hey, either I'm domestic or I knit.  Can't do both at the same time.) and corn on the cob.  Jeff and I finished the salads and corn with our burgers tonight.   For dessert yesterday I had made a pineapple upside down cake but forgot to put in the brown sugar and it wouldn't come out of the pan so at the last minute I made my cousin Carol Paul's oatmeal squares.  A 9 x 13" pan of them with coconut and white chocolate bites which were a big hit coz by the end of the day there were only 2 squares left in the pan.  Of course, a couple were seen leaving wrapped in paper napkins and stashed in pockets....
   This afternoon I was knitting a lavender rose for the hat to a pink size 9 months sweater set when Judy called to let me know I had sold another sweater set yesterday... making 7 sets this month...and the last 2 baseball hats I had in the shop.  After supper I knitted a baseball hat and got about 3/4 of the embroidery done on it before I started to lose track of what I was doing and put it up.    The time gap between finishing the rose and supper was spent mowing the lawn...or at least part of it.  I did most of the front...in 2 stages...after Jeff started the lawnmower both times. I just couldn't get the damn thing to turn over when I tried pulling it!  I usually take that as a signal not to mow the lawn right now but at this rate it will take me 3 or 4 dry days to get all the way around and a hay mower may be more the thing to use than my Craftsman mower!  Jeff spent the time between starting the lawnmower for me with filling garden boxes.  He tested the pH and got the stuff he used last year to acidify the soil...the bag says it changes hydrangeas from pink to blue but we don't have any hydrangeas.  With all the oak trees around us you wouldn't think we'd need to do that. Then he watered the garden so of course it rained...but not much or for long.  It always seems to rain after he waters it.

No comments: