Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Winter Rolls Along

My PC and I have been feuding.  It thinks it's smarter than me (don't tell it I agree) and won't always let me go where I want.  When that happens, I use Jeff's trick and just turn off everything and wait until the next day.  Nine times out of ten, I'm in charge again.

Yesterday, 1/13/14, would have been my mom's 100th birthday.  She was not looking forward to that event.  Claimed it was not something to celebrate. She made us promise not to plan anything so I said I'd wait until summer when family and friends could travel easier.  She just said "we'll see".  Oh, well. 

Winter continues to roll along.  The temperatures this month have gone from -8 to 52 in just days!  Our driveway is the usual speed skating rink it always turns into and I've fallen once.. so far.  Jeff has spread ashes from the wood stove, ice melt and sand around the cars and to the wood shed making it easier to move around out there. Also making it easier to track it more muck.  And adding the possibility of picking up a nail in a car tire. Oh, the fun of living in the little house in the little woods in the winter.

Our Berkey water filter is a wonder!  Finally we have clean water to cook with and drink.  It has overflowed once...filling the drawer beneath it with about 1" of water.  Now I leave a bowl under the spout just to be safe.  But it's still worth it coz now we don't have to haul plastic gallon jugs of water!

I've started building my stock for the next season in Cooperstown by doing some ladies tank tops with lace inserts down the front.  I've also done 'tea gloves'...I think they'd be rather Gothic if done in black, and I'm planning on doing ladies socks with lace cuffs, too.  All in a cotton/acrylic blend that is soft and comes in a wide variety of colors.  I've got an idea for a display but it will require some carpenter's know how. (Oh, Jeff....)  I'm giving myself the month of January to do adult knitting before I start doing the usual children and baby's things.  Photos will follow when I learn to use my camera!!  Another thing that's smarter than me.

1 comment:

danielle said...

I was just wishing you would show some photos of the tank tops and the socks when I read the last part!