Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Ah, Winter!

   Ah, winter continues to roll along...not  exactly  merrily but fast enough.  The Great Winter Storm, Janus, managed to miss us, whacking my cousins in Delaware quite hard.  They got 12" of snow...which effectively shut them down.  Meanwhile, up here in the little woods we got 2" but temperatures dove well below zero...let alone freezing!  The Subaru's proved their superiority and both started without spending the night in a garage!  As long as they do it again tomorrow after another night of minus temperatures I'll be happy. After another night of shivering under the many covers...and beside the dog...on my bed Jeff pried open the register and the room lost it's frosted walls. It wasn't bothering him, just me.  Even with wool socks on, my feet were like ice!!  Must be the Warfarin.  Rat poison isn't that good for anybody.
   Yesterday the TV decided not to have any audio after I knocked the remote control on to the floor.  I tried to reprogram the cable box...even called the cable company, but the tech said I either needed a new remote ($9.99) or a new TV ($$$). I agreed to the remote and spent the evening without TV, knitting and then reading.  (Tony Hillerman's daughter, Anna, has continued his Navajo police series and she writes almost as good a story as her dad did.  The new book is titled Spider Woman's Daughter.)  Jeff didn't agree with the tech and today he had time to play around with the tv and got the audio back so I called the cable company again, got a different tech and she was able to reset the cable so everything works again.  
   In the meantime, I finally got a 2nd ladies cotton tank top or chamois finished for the shop.  This one is pale pink with a lacey Celtic knot worked on the front. (The first one is dark green with lacey leaves.) Tonight I'm working on ladies lacey cotton socks.  Think there's a theme here?
   Even with heat coming into this room, the bedroom is still cold so I think it's time to go sit by the fire and knit. I finally got smart and have been using an Aldi's canvas bag to carry wood.  I can bring in 3x as much wood in a single trip in the bag rather than carrying it in my arms!  Jeff doesn't think the canvas bag will last long so we're going to look for a wood carrier at Lowe's next time we're there.  Oh, Jeff found directions for fire starters on YouTube using cotton balls and wax so he's been melting old candles and making some.  They work quite well...as long as you don't over saturate the cotton ball!  And they smell rather nice, too.

No comments: