Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Highland Knits!


    

   I got the 'official' OK yesterday to expand my shop display into adult wear with Highland Knits inspired by the TV show Outlander.  I've done adult wear in the past but they never sold that well and they were displayed with the children and baby knitwear.  This year my Highland Knits will be displayed with the other adult wear in the 1st room of the shop.  I don't plan on having more than 1 or 2 of an item at a time...one hanging just above eye level and the other folded on a shelf, except for gauntlet or fingerless mitts.  I've found 2 patterns...with cables...that I really like and there's another without that I've seen called "Herb Gathering Mitts" that I think I can improvise.  Maybe 2 pairs of each?  They're a lot longer than fingerless mitts covering the arm up to the elbow!  Because I'm trying to stay true to the era (early1700's) the yarns are rather dull...heather gray, shades of brown, burgundy, dark blue, dark or heather green.  Too much of that will make the display rather dark and depressing.  I did order a heather green yarn for a shawl yesterday that should be nice.   The lace shawl I'm working on now is called 'Guernsey in Pink' but I'm doing it is Cadet Blue...a dull pale blue.
   Besides 'Claire's Rent Collecting Shawl' in the color combo used on the show, I did one in amethyst edged in gray. Now I'm waiting for the buckles that I ordered to come!
   Here's one of the gauntlets I just got
finished.  It's called "Claire's Highland
Warmers" designed by Kristen Brooks.
There is another version of it called 'Scottish Princess' designed by Scottish Princess.  Of course, I made a couple of changes to the pattern, too, but it still came out pretty good!  I can't wait until I get to the library and pick up the book Highland Knits by Michelle Bredeson.  There are 2 other gauntlets I'd like to try and several caplets and shawls.  

    

No comments: