Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Continuing Saga of the Forester

       Our Subaru Forester is 10 years old and has 210,000 miles on it.  We've replaced the transmission and updated other features.  But I'm still getting over 20 miles/gal with it on the highway.  This past week Jeff has said he didn't like the way the brakes sounded, so I said 'take it to Dave'.  Before he could do that, last night coming back from Herkimer, the brakes faded away to...nothing!  He was lucky to make it home in 1 piece.  
    Living out here in the little house in the little woods, it can be a real problem when you're suddenly vehicle-less.  I was scheduled to work in the shop this coming Sunday.  (Jeff has a doctor's appointment in Cooperstown on Monday and I'm suppose to be back in the shop again on Friday...just in time for the BB HOF's Induction Weekend. Don't even think about grocery shopping or trips to the pharmacy to refill an Rx. (It took several trys to find another member willing to switch days on such short notice but thankfully, Theresa said she would.  I'll make up it up to her by working a day for her in Aug.)
    Luckily, Jeff's sister was willing to come down today and be my chauffeur.  We went to the bank so I could make a deposit to cover my mortgage payment, to the library so I could print out the new insurance cards for the Forester (I changed insurance companies this week and it was 'simpler' to get the insurance card via email than regular mail) and the termination notice to change insurance companies.  I was going to print, sign and fax it back to the new insurance company but the librarian suggested just emailing it back so I just had to pay $.20 for printing it instead of $2.20 for printing and faxing it.  Then we went to Walmart and did some shopping.
   When we got home Jeff had decided he probably could fix the brakes himself...if he can determine which rotor is bad.  That process will begin tomorrow and hopefully, be successful.  In the meantime, I think we're going to use a medical transportation service for Monday's appointment...if he doesn't decided to postpone it.  And as a last resort, I'll probably rent a car for 2 days to be able to work on Friday.  Keep your fingers crossed.
7/13/19-Update:  Jeff took the rear passenger wheel off today and this is what's left of the brake pads.  I have to admit there was something going on.  He 

thinks all four brakes are in the same condition.  We're going to replace the pads and keep our fingers crossed that the rotors are ok...for a month or more at least!  Boy, were we lucky or what??

No comments: