Sunday, December 11, 2016

Scarves, Cowls and Other Knitted Things

     I sat down yesterday with the intent to start a cowl to give Jeff's sister for Christmas.  I was using a pattern from Ravelry called Gallatin's Scarf (one of several that I found that I thought she might like), Caron Simply Soft acrylic yarn in woodland heather and a US 10 1/2 needle.  The lacey edge wasn't difficult and the scarf grew quite quickly.  By the time I finished the scarf this morning I knew it wasn't going anywhere without me.  I was keeping it.
Besides, it wasn't what Sherry was looking for.  She wanted something to wrap around her neck and be able to pull up over her nose if needed and use as a hood.  This scarf/cowl isn't deep enough to use as a hood. OK, so back to the drawing board.  The next cowl I started is called Evelyn and I'm doing it in Caron Simply Soft acrylic yarn in cream and again on a 10 1/2 needle.  Unfortunately, it wasn't a whole skein
when I started and I ran out a few minutes ago with several rows...and maybe

3"...to go so I'm going to have to get another skein to finish.  This doesn't look like it's what Sherry is looking for, either, but I won't be able to tell for sure until it's finished.  I like it but if I decide not to keep for myself, this one will go to the Herkimer Library for it's fence program.  (Anyone who needs a hat, scarf or gloves/mittens can take what's hanging on the fence, no questions asked.) There is one more pattern, called the Champagne Cowl, on Ravelry that may be what she wants.  It's longer and doesn't have the lacey open work.  And it's wide/deep enough to use as a hood. But I don't have any yarn to start it tonight so I guess it's back to working on Jeff's socks.
(He watched me mend my socks yesterday and told me maybe I should stop knitting for everybody else... since he has enough socks for now...and knit a pair for myself.  Nice of him, huh?)

No comments: