Saturday, August 22, 2015

More Than Knitting

   I was cleaning out some of the stuff from Mom's room today when I came across these old bus tickets from a trip from Carlton Place, Ontario to Ottawa that we took nearly 47 years ago with  our friend Fran and our                                                                                                                                                                                                        next door neighbor, Thelma.  Thelma and her family had a small cottage on Mississippi Lake where her husband, Bob, and my dad liked to fish.  Bob had a home fuel oil business and a gas station in Herkimer and worked hard 6 days a week.  When he suggested a trip to the lake my father always said yes and off we went...about 4 hours to the US/Canada border and then another 4 hours to Carlton Place and their camp...but the men always felt it was worth it.  (Sometime we did round trips in 1 day!)  This trip was going to be a week's vacation so the adults planned something special for us...a trip to Ottawa, Canada's Capital.  We took the bus and toured the city.  We were 'College Girls' and between us we had about 8 years of French but when that person stopped us on the capital steps and asked us...in French...something or other...neither Fran or I could say a word! Talk about feeling stupid!!  I'll never forget that day.  And to top it all off, we missed the bus back to Carlton Place and had to take a taxi...my one and only $50 taxi ride!  
   
The Little Tramp?
 I also came across some old photos of me including this one taken on Main St in Herkimer.  You can just make out the old cars across the street in the photo!  I'm about 3 years old (so it's about 1953) and I think it was taken near the Alvaro Building where we had an apartment on the 2nd floor at the time.  We didn't stay there long after Mom found me on the fire escape looking down at the street one day.  I didn't mind moving...the shadows on my bedroom wall from the dead air shaft were giving me nightmares.  (I still remember that!)  We then moved to S. Bellinger St...heaven on earth for a little kid if you ask me...and stayed there until I was about 8 years old.  (This photo is now my profile photo for this blog.)  Mom knitted the hat and sweater...I think they are light gray with white angora trim.  And I think the sweater is still in mom's cedar chest!  I asked one of my cousins if she can enhance the photo before scanning it to clear it up some. Sure hope she can!

   My Sunflower Hoodie sold yesterday in the shop along with several hats. I'm working Monday and trying to finish another hoodie to fill in the space.  This one's going to have a train going around the body above the waist and I always seem to forget to remember how much work it is.  I have to stop and untangle the yarn every few rows.  Tried working with bobbins but that doesn't help much.  Oh, well, the design is almost complete so I shouldn't complain too much.  Just got to work in all those loose ends, sew on the buttons train's wheels) and the back zipper and it will be ready to photograph and post here. But not tonight!! 

No comments: