Saturday, May 23, 2015

This is Spring?

     We've had a couple of frost warnings this week that we pretty much crossed our fingers and ignored but the warning for Friday night was too strong and Jeff decided to cover the garden.  Now that isn't as easy as it sounds since our garden is about a dozen 4x4' boxes.  We started by putting plastic over one box and stapling it around.  Jeff put the plastic over the next 2 boxes and before he cut it I asked why not leave it and put something between the boxes to keep the critters from trying to run through?  That sounded pretty good to Jeff so that's what we did.  We ran out of staples about then, too, so Jeff filled  the rest of the boxes with leaves, covering the plants...most of which were small and covered up
easily.  I took the strawberry baskets down and put them in the garage and put a large garbage bag over my big old geranium.  The temperature went down to about 30 over night, glad we did it!  Now Jeff has the job of getting the leaves out of the boxes...again!
       Friday Fanny and I went over to Jeff's for a little while.  He's been working on a neighbor's PC, trying to get it to recognize a disc or dvd.  It's suppose to but won't.  The guy got it at a local 2nd hand shop for about $150 and has a large screen with a great picture and sound...even came with a gaming keyboard that is underlit!  Jeff's got a couple of more ideas to try before he gives it back.
   We decided to go to the Dollar Tree and on the way over saw a sign for a garage sale in my old neighborhood (Dewey Ave & Smith St).  Boy, has the neighborhood changed!  The gas station on the corner where we use to get Popsicles was gone and the houses around it looked empty and run down.  And there was only 1 house on the other side of the street!  I remember when the Italian store/bakery burnt down but I didn't know the rest of the block was gone, too.  I loved the smell of the fresh bread in that store but hated the sight of the eels and tripe in the showcase!  The house  (235 Dewey Ave) where we lived on the entire first floor now has 3 or 4 apartments in it!  I don't think I know anyone who still lives around there anymore.  Most of the people my age have moved and a lot of their parents had passed away.  But I have to admit that the sidewalks look a lot better than when we lived there and I had roller skates fastened to my sneakers and large bandages on my knees.  I wonder how long my parents would have stayed there if the landlady hadn't come downstairs one day and told them that her grandson was willing to pay her $86 a month for the apartment if they weren't (they weren't), and that's how we ended up out here in the little house in the little woods.  

note:  This pc booted up without a problem for 2 days in a row!  I don't know what Jeff did to it this time but it worked!!  Hope it lasts. Got to set up the bread machine.  We're having a family dinner today (my cousin Ed and Jeff's sister Sherry).  It's warmer than it's been...back in the 70's...and sunny, but I think we'll eat inside...no bugs!  Sun., 5/24/15; 10am  

No comments: