Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day


      We celebrated Memorial Day yesterday with a family dinner.  Jeff's sister...Fanny's favorite person besides Jeff & me...and my cousin Ed joined us for a nice visit and pretty good meal.  I did oven roasted potatoes with onions and peppers and a pork roast on the Ronco...even did gravy from drippings instead of a packet!!  Ed, with help from Pepperridge Farm, provided dessert...a red velvet cake with creamy frosting.  There were not much leftovers!  Even Fanny got a few bits of the roast...slipped under the table from Sherry...before I scraped the dishes into her supper dish. (Wonder why Sherry is high on Fanny's popularity list?)  We sat outside by the garden before dinner enjoying the sunshine and warm breezes.  There were a few bumblebees but no mosquitoes, a couple of butterflies and a hummingbird or two.  I pointed out that I've repeatedly asked Jeff (and Wally from next door) to put a large pond in the wooded pasture across from our house because it would make our little corner of the world perfect . Ed agreed with me but Jeff just snickered.  I don't think I'll get my little lake unless I go out with my shovel and start digging!
     Jeff took the plastic off the boxes we had covered this week.  Some of the smaller plants had wilted a little but should bounce back...we hope.  He put in more peppers...some really hot ones, too!...and some corn.  He wants to get more corn...so do I!  The beans look good...they must have liked being covered with leaves.The boxes are almost full and the garden is starting to look good.  He decided not to take the leaves out of the potato boxes since most of the potato plants

had already grown above them.  He'll just
put dirt or compost over the leaves when he hills the plants again. We have a variety of potatoes...blues, reds and golds.  Hope we get
a good harvest!  The
lettuce is about 4" tall and I think I'll start picking some of it this week to cook...I'm in the mood for 'greens'. I had my finger prick Wednesday and scored a 2.9...right in the middle of the scale...so I'm good for another month.  Now is the time to have a nice plate of cooked greens without them effecting my INR score.

      This was the first big tourist weekend in Cooperstown...Old Timer's Weekend. (They split Induction festivities into a couple of weekends several years ago.)  The crowds were pretty good and the shop did well.  I sold a couple of baseball sweaters and several baseball hats and a little girl's hat.  Add that to the sales from the fashion show and May has been good to me.  That does mean I have to get knitting so as long as this pc continues to work (today is Day #3 that it booted up on the first try...don't know what Jeff did to it to make it work but I'm glad he did) I think I'll bring up AcornTV and watch a British mystery, maybe Midsomer Murders, and knit. 

No comments: