Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Then again

    Fanny and I had a rough night last night.  There were scattered thunderstorms with winds and I had left many windows open including both the windows in my bedroom.  The chimes were ringing...such a soothing sound I think but Fanny does not agree.  Around 3:30am she woke up and started going from room to room, unable to settle down.  A quick trip outside didn't help.  She kept getting on and off the bed, hiding under it and panting causing the whole bed to shake.  I got her walking leash and tried to keep her next to the bed... if not on it...just not under it.  No way, she responded.  Finally I gave up, unleashed her and she dove under the bed but this time not leaning against it.  Eventually we both fell back to sleep... around 4:30am.  When I woke up she was on the foot of the bed with her back to me...clearly I had done something wrong.  This morning I noticed that the one rain barrel that had been filling properly had fallen over sometime during the night.  It had been nearly full, too!  Could this have started Fanny's restlessness?  She seemed very interested in it this afternoon when Jeff righted the stand and set the barrel back in place...this time making sure it was level.  (The spout is mangled but still works with the help of a pair of pliers to open and close it.) 
    Jeff keeps telling me Fanny is my dog but if the 3 of us are together, she prefers his company.  Today when he was working on getting my PC to cooperate again Fanny wanted to go out but would not go with me.  Jeff had to stop what he was doing and take her outside.  (Of course, part of that may be because I put her on the lead and he lets her run loose.)  He eventually got the PC to work and I got to watch AcornTV tonight. He just called a few
minutes ago to see if the PC was still working and Fanny came running to lick the phone...it was on speaker and she heard his voice.  She will come and sit with me if I'm watching something on AcornTV on the computer if she wakes up from a nap in Jeff's chair and finds that I'm not sitting in mine watching TV but prefers sleeping in a chair to sleeping on the floor. (Can't blame her!)  Tonight I watched an old Midsomer Murders that featured Jim Carter...Carson the butler on Downton Abbey...as a young, good-looking stud!  For those of you who aren't familiar with it, AcornTV is a British streaming service that costs about $10 a month.  It has many BBC shows...mysteries, comedies, documentaries and dramas...new and old.  I replaced my cable tv subscription with it and enjoy it very much.  I get to pick what I want to watch and when, and can stop and start the show as necessary.  And no commercials!
   I can't believe this coming Monday is Memorial Day...there's an entire week of May after it!  I don't remember that happening before!  It's too early for flowers to be planted in the cemeteries...we had a frost warning this week and have frost warnings for tomorrow night and for Friday night!  I checked my father's and my cousins' graves yesterday and their veteran's seals and American flags were there so I don't feel too bad about waiting awhile before putting the flowers.  Everyone will just have to understand.  Hope our garden continues to thrive... 
my 8-yr old geranium has been moved outdoors to the deck and in the week or so it's been out there, it's started to fill out.  Can't believe it continues to thrive and blossom so beautifully...thanks, Joanie O'Grady.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

if you purchase an annual subscription for Acorn it's only 49.99 for the year.
Love it! and enjoy reading your blog.