Thursday, November 6, 2014

November is Gonna Be Different

     November is here with cold damp winds.  Snow has been forecast a couple of times but we've lucked out and we've been spared.  Most of the leaves have fallen and if we can get a couple of days of dry weather we may be able to rent the leaf vacuum and clean the yard but that depends on how Jeff feels.  He's been going for PT for his right leg for about 3 weeks now and sadly, things are getting worse.  The exercises are draining his strength and causing a lot of pain and discomfort...in his leg and his back.  (The injury is over 50 years old...a series of accidents and mishaps from his youth...that weather and arthritis has made worse.  That's why he sometimes drags his right leg and his right knee buckles.)  He doesn't feel like eating afterwards and that messes up his blood sugar adding to his discomfort.  Today he said he's about had it.  There is not much he can do to ease the pain for several days after a session.  His doctor seems to think there is some kind of treatment out there that will help him with the leg and back pain and it's her duty to find it.  Last year's experiment didn't work for long and the steroids really messed up his blood count and this year's isn't doing much better.  And the thing is, Jeff doesn't ask the doctor for this help, she comes up with it all on her own!
     In the meantime, I'm trying not to burn too much wood.  I've bought a couple of bundles of hard wood at the grocery store and use it with what I have in the woodshed.  I've managed to keep the TV room and kitchen warm and the rest of the house comfortable during the day...except this bedroom which just gets cold because it always did.  (The TV room has a 'phantom draft' from when my father built the room that he could never locate but an afghan around my legs takes care of that.)  I stocked the shop well the last time I worked and sales have slacked off so I'm giving my hands a little rest and not knitting like a fool.  I did some adult mittens last week...took all week to do 3 pairs!...and then took 2 days to do a ladies hat!  That's slow for me.  I think I may be developing or redeveloping carpel tunnel syndrome again.  My hands have been going 'needles and pins' and I've started dropping things.  (Don't want to go thru that again.  I think that would be the 3rd time!)  Anyway, I've got another hat going and then I want to do a cowl for the shop before I start working on Christmas presents.  So, unless Jeff feels good and we're working on the wood pile, I'm spending my days sitting by the fire, nice and comfy, knitting, reading and watching TV.  Discovered Wendy Williams and The Price is Right!  And Channel 2 has just started 2.3 with old sitcoms like MASH!  Who needs cable?    

No comments: