Sunday, November 23, 2014

Christmas is A-Coming...Wanted or Not!

Hand crafted holiday decorations
Christmas hats...and bears...and soaps!
   Had a not quite delightful ride to Cooperstown   Friday morning.  
We were  experiencing 'lake effect' precipitation and while  accumulation wasn't anything like Buffalo was getting, it did make Rte 29 South not a fun ride.  I got to the shop without mishap but couldn't get the door open!  The locks were frozen or jammed or something.  I ended up giving the door a solid shove and suddenly they opened!  The two previous days had been without any sales and I was pretty sure...with the weather... yesterday would be the same.  But the lake effect passed and the sun came out and I actually made some sales...including a baseball hat of mine!  I started to take photos of the shop to post on our Facebook page but the batteries in the camera gave out after just a couple!  I'll take more next week when I work again.  

    I decided to knit something for boys...besides baseball themed...and came up with these Christmas vests...fun to make but nasty to have to clean up...with all those yarn ends!! (Fair Isle style on circular needles are always a mess maker!)   Both are size 1 and are done in machine wash and dryable Red Heart acrylic yarn.  They were gathering 

ohhs and ahhs from customers Friday and Saturday but it's a baseball sweater that sold!  Maybe today?  A girl's sweater sold, too.  I think I'll replace that one.

   Got home from the shop Friday and found that Jeff had finally started to move the computer...from the bedroom to what use to be the living room.  (The living room is now a large closet... such a waste.)  Any way, the computer is now next to the front living room window, adjacent to  the kitchen. 
The answering machine is right there, too, instead of in the bedroom!  Much more convenient for checking messages when I come in, and maybe I won't let things boil over or burn on the stove since I can now see it from here!  Jeff says I have to clean out the closet here so the wires can be tacked down and not draped from above!  Not looking forward to doing that.  Should clean out the living room, too, while I'm at it.  Oh, he also cleaned the wood stove while I was in Cooperstown.  Even tried to vacuum up after that!  I did the rugs again and all was well.  The wood stove keeps the TV room, kitchen and the living room nice and comfy.  And again, I can see that stove from here so I know when it's time to put more wood on the fire!  The printer doesn't work...I think that may have died of old age, and the speakers aren't working...hooked up wrong? and I'm not sure if Jeff got the wireless connected...but the computer works!!

Oh, there was a parade of fire trucks racing by on Rte 5 the Friday night around midnight.  Seems St. Mary's Church, now called Holy Family, on Main and John Sts in Little Falls, was on fire.  Took a couple of hours for the firemen from Little Falls with help from Herkimer, East Herkimer, Ilion and Salisbury to get the fire out.  Luckily, no one was hurt.  I think a couple of rooms were damaged but not too badly.  Don't know when the church will reopen.  It was always a beautiful building.
  



















No comments: