Monday, October 22, 2012

Just a Sunday Afternoon at Home

Got the market bag finished for an upcoming swap.  It easily holds 2 large boxes of cereal so I guess it's a good size.  It's cotton and machine wash and dryable.  Hope my swapee enjoys it.

The rest of the day was hard work...Jeff outside cleaning off the garden...he dug the sweet potatoes and got nothing...and me stuck cleaning beets. Definitely not my favorite job since it meant standing at the kitchen sink and, besides,  I do not like beets.  (There were enough carrots to fill 2 pint jars...one red one orange...which I did without complaint...coz I like carrots.)  I had stripped my bed and taken the sheets & blanket & comforter to the laundromat this morning to wash them all at once in a big machine.  Picked up the garbage bag of wet bedding to head home and saw stars!*!*!  Oh, my back!  And then getting stuck at the kitchen sink washing beets...ugh!  It was too much and I pulled a 'sympathy' fit (similar to a temper tantrum but with tears and no yelling) that got me nowhere but I felt better afterwards.  My back still hurts this morning.

Jeff's been reading on-line how to cook beets (in anticipation of a good harvest?) so last night we roasted whole beets for supper.  They were a lot better than beets out of a can...which really surprised me.  Very sweet.  But they are still not on my favorite veggie list.  [To roast beets:  clean whole beets removing top and tip. Place beets of similar size on a piece of aluminium foil, drizzle with olive oil, fold foil to form a packet and place in a hot oven...375-400 for about an hour.  They will be soft when cooked.  If other things are to be baked at a lower temperature, put the beet packets in with them and just raise the temperature when the other things are cooked...or let them cook longer.]  Now he's taking about doing 'fried beets' since we all like 'fried carrots'.  [To ' fry ' carrots:  boil carrots until soft. Mash and saute with olive oil, butter, garlic and any other spice you'd like.]  We'll see how that turns out.

No comments: