Saturday, September 15, 2012

Is it still September?

It's another brisk 'autumn' morning. Sunny but chilly. It's suppose to warm up this afternoon...hope so or I'll have to shut the windows again.

Today's program includes canning some meat. Got to make room in the freezer! And besides it's so much easier to just open a couple of bottles when I want to make chicken and biscuits or chili. Jeff's got 2 bottles of meatloaf (?) on the shelf and last night he was talking about dry canning (using the attachment to his Seal-a-Meal) some polish sausage. We still haven't gotten that 40lb bag of onions he wants to dehydrate. The peppers he did Thursday night ended up in a pint jar! He'll use all his dry veggies to make soup mix that he'll dry can with his Seal-a-Meal attachment in individual bottles. While we're making a good stab at being 'off the grid' we're both glad to use these modern conveniences!

Got to start knitting again...or moving yarn. Can't begin to install the new wood stove until all the extra stash is relocated! When I talked to Judy last evening I found out that there will be a Scavenger Hunt during the Pumpkin Fest next Saturday and one of my pumpkin hats is the item to find in our shop. For the last 2 weeks my pumpkin hats have just sat there not generating much interest from customers. She's worried there will suddenly be a surge for pumpkin hats and by next Saturday there won't be any on the shelf. I assured her I was bringing half a dozen with me Wednesday when I work so I guess I better get busy(2 are done, 1 is OTN). I want to get another Pin-stripe set done by then, too. Got the yarn but not the ambition.

Jeff consolidated the gutter garden Thursday leaving just 1 pair running. All the pails with live plants fit on the other pair and things are still growing. I now do not have an excuse for mowing the lawn again. (Again, just no ambition.) Thursday evening I mowed between the house and the garage and around the garden. That's where it seems to grow the best...must be the extra water and nutrition Jeff is giving the garden leaching into the lawn. My lawn mower is acting funny...or else I can't pull it hard enough fast enough. It's started belching black smoke before it catches. Jeff's afraid to change the oil...not sure when or if it was every changed before. So we just keep the oil full and the air filter clean and hope it lasts another season. The way I keep hitting small logs and rocks Fanny's playing with in the yarn, the blade will have to be changed soon. (I know when it was changed last...about 4 years ago when a friend did it for me and cut his hand.)

If we get some work done today maybe we can go fishing tomorrow.

No comments: