Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Lovely Afternoon



Spent a lovely afternoon at Lock 18 where the river and canal rejoin while Jeff tried to entice some fish to give his lures a chance, or least drown some worms in the attempt but without any luck. A couple jumped in front of us but just weren't interested. Several good-size boats went thru the lock while we were sitting there prompting a 'what if' session. (Jeff would rather have a houseboat than a cabin cruiser and I'd be happy as long as it was a pontoon.) Neither of us are likely to get our wish granted soon but it's still fun to play. We're sitting on the lock wall looking across the water to the north river bank. My house is about a half mile north... at the far left of the right photo...as the crows or in this case, ducks fly. We can see the old Salada water tower just out of the picture frame in the right photo and if you magnify the photo you can just make out an old silo on Rte 5.

When we got home we found that we were not the only ones playing this afternoon. Fanny had chewed a down-pillow and my bed...and room...were covered in feathers! Mom said she never saw or heard the dog after I left and wondered if she was actually sleeping. Well, she wasn't. I kept my cool and didn't yell or chase the dog around the house threatening her. Oh, I did say if I had a cup of tar it wouldn't have been so quite. Jeff just laughed and said I told you not to let her get on the bed. Yeah, right, as if I could stand there all day guarding the bed. Any way I swept up the feathers and shook out the bedding and Fanny thought they were a new ways to play the game. She looks so dumb sometimes it's hard to stay mad at her.

After supper (zucchini...from out garden...lasagna) Jeff decided it was time to cut up the tomatoes he's been picking to save from the blight. We had gotten a Vidalia Chop Wizard when we got the utility trailer but never got around to using it. It took him longer to cut out the rotten parts than to chop up enough tomatoes to fill 2 gal ziplock baggies. He's going to dehydrate it and use it for soups and stews. His tomatoes are large and there is a great variety but the blight is moving in and most of the crop will be lost again this year. He wanted me to cut up cucumbers for pickles but I refused. I'll do the green & purple beans and pickles tomorrow. I always feel lazy after an afternoon in the sun near water.

No comments: