Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fall is in the Air

There is definitely a touch of fall in the air...the house has been cool...no, cold...in the morning and at night lately and yesterday during breakfast the furnace came on! Not exactly a good thing with so many windows still open so Jeff and I went wood stove shopping yesterday. When my father built the den on to the house 30 years ago we ordered a wood stove thru the JCPenny catalog for a couple of hundred dollars. ( I got to put the fire bricks in it!!) It was a good little stove and did a fantastic job of heating the room. Eventually we moved with the times and replaced it with a pellet stove and then with a propane stove...both types also worked well but those 40lb bags of pellets got heavy and now propane is getting expensive so we're looking at wood again. A trip to the store where we got the pellet stove and the last propane stove 18 yrs ago gave us many ideas...beautiful stoves and unbelievable prices. We stopped at our favorite big box store on the way home (Lowe's) and found a similar stove... just not as pretty... for half the price. I'd really like the high end stove but the price!! So I think we'll be getting the stove at Lowe's in the next couple of days. But first I needed to clean the den and get all my yarn organized again. I have so many needles that have lost their pair this summer...they are either on the floor under the end table lost in the yarn or I have more OTN projects that I want to admit to. And I know that a simple afternoon project will take a couple of days as those OTN projects surface! Jeff suggested a couple of sturdy garbage bags will hold it all since there is room on the trailer for the next trip to the dump....

We've been busy with the pressure caner and dehydrator this week. There still are hot peppers to dehydrate but...in self-defense...the unit will be moved into the garage before we start that! And Jeff wants to do a 40lb bag of onions while it's out there, too.

I've taken some time off from knitting...to read...and I think it's probably time to get those needles clicking again. Pumpkin Fest in Cooperstown is coming up in about a week and I want to get some autumn sweaters set done before that. Since I've been selling mostly size 9 months sets it's shouldn't be too difficult a task.

No comments: