Friday, March 16, 2012

Would A Horse Be Better?

Friday evening we stopped at Lowe's so Jeff could get some PVC pipe and elbows and T's to build a grow-light base to start seeds indoors. He had found plans online and thought it would work nicely in a smaller window in his apartment. If it worked, maybe he could build one for me, too. He pushed the pipe into the car thru the back hatch. A nudge pushed it on to the dashboard and against the windshield. We got in the car, shut the doors and turned on the defroster to unfog the window and...the windshield cracked. Neither of us could believe it! Because the car was 8 years old when I bought it I didn't put comprehensive on it when I insured it. OK. That meant, I had to pay for a new windshield. I asked/called around and ended up with an 8am appointment Tuesday at Rockford Glass in Utica...and a lecture from Jeff about not leaving Rockford's to wander around Utica on foot (as if I would?? at 8am??) until I suggested he take the car up there. Which he did and he did wander around Utica at 8am on foot! Took himself out to breakfast, checked out a hotdog stand next to the Aud and got himself a free cup of coffee there because the coffee wasn't ready when he asked for it! Walked over to a barber shop in a prominently black neighborhood and as the only 'white boy' in the place waited to get a haircut. Boy, did that make heads turn as people walked by! Don't think the barber had much experience cutting a white man's hair but he didn't do a bad job. And it only cost $14! My windshield ended up costing $211.75...not bad either. (We watched a horizontal crack develop across the windshield all weekend. It spontaneously started in front of the driver and moved towards the spider crack in front of the passenger...but never connected with it. Left a 3" space between the ends of the crack. Weird!) Add that to the new cradle that had to be installed so the car could pass inspection in February ($903) and I think that's all I want to invest in this car. Oh, I did add comprehensive ins! Maybe horse would be better...at least we'd have the manure to use in the garden!!

The grow-light stand works great and he's got peppers and tomato seeds planted under it. I'll have to rearrange the den furniture to put one he's building for me in front of a window. The elbows and T's cost as much as the pipe!!

No comments: