Saturday, November 1, 2008

Christmas Is A Comin'

Well, today I looked at the calendar and realized that Christmas will be over in 2 months whether or not I'm ready!

I have 1 sock almost half finished. It's a nice sock...for Fred, in
China...in that wool-silk blend from Knitpicks. It's making up quickly but it's a little boring so today I ordered some Maizy--Patternwork's corn fiber blend, to make him a 2nd pair. I'm not sure he's going to actually wear either pair but I won't find out until he comes home in June so that's ok. Postage to China is so high($25/lb) that I have to keep the package small and light. No sweaters. Socks and candy. That sounds like Christmas to me this year!

I've got a scarf for my computer tech about half done. It's in a ribbon yarn I got really- really marked down at AC Moore who knows how long ago. It was sitting in my pile waiting to be used and it's bright and cheery like her. I just got some beautiful yarn for socks...most of my gifts this year will be socks... that I haven't touched yet and last week I ordered wool for a shawl for a friend from Knitpicks. It hasn't arrived yet or else I'd probably have that started!

I usually do baby and children's sweaters and accessories for a gift shop in
Cooperstown, NY (the Home of Baseball). Doing the same 'picture sweaters' over and over again thru the season gets old fast. Every year I say I'm not going to do that one or that one again but I always end up doing them. I try to do something new every year, too. Last winter I did 2 Elizabeth Zimmerman pi shawls that I loved! One sold this summer but the other will be mine if it doesn't sell in 55 days! Baby socks have been a big hit the past 3 years! All the left-overs from the sock yarn I bought for Christmas presents will end up being used for them. In fact, they'll end up paying for most of the glorious yarns I've been buying!

Enough chatter for now. Time to get back to Fred's sock. I've got to have the package ready to mail by the Monday after Thanksgiving.

No comments: