Monday, April 10, 2023

Happy Easter!

   Happy Easter!  Hope everyone had a beautiful day.  The weather definitely cooperated with blue sky and sunshine! 

   We had invited my cousin, Ed, to join us for dinner and Jeff did the honors.  He put a pork roast in the slow cooker, and it did its magic!  I asked what flavor packet he used and was blown away when he answered, 'beef stew'.  The potatoes and green beans he had added to the roast were cooked perfectly and the roast itself was fork tender!  There were very few leftovers!!

   Because yesterday was also my birthday, Ed brought a cake for dessert...a chocolate layer cake topped with delicious, whipped frosting.  We managed to eat half the cake!!

   I made a traditional Italian Easter bread, braided and trimmed with eggs.  The arthritis in my hands has been bothering me a lot the last few weeks as I finished things to take to the shop and I was worried I wouldn't be able to make the bread.  I finally decided to use the bread machine we had to mix and knead the dough, and everything came out right!  I did make 1 mistake when I ran out of lemon juice and did not add water, so my bread was a little dry and flavorless but with butter on a slice it tasted almost as good as my mom's!  Jeff had cleaned out the flatware drawer and threw away the old pastry brushes I had had for years.  I had to use a bunched-up paper towel to spread some milk on my bread before sprinkling on the candy sprinkles.  Oh well, we really didn't need all that candy!!  My braided wreath always comes out lop-sided! 


This is what half the dough the recipe made.  I also formed 2 small, straight, braided loaves with 1 egg each.  For some reason the candy sprinkles
 stuck better to them!  My cousin took 1 home with him and the other was my sample!


    

No comments: