Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Another One of Those Days

I had an appointment for my regular INR today but nothing about it was regular. The nurse had to prick 3 of my fingers before she was fast enough to catch enough blood to test! I scored 7.1. Never has my result been so high in the 14 years I've been on Warfarin. Between the stress of Jeff's PET/PFT procedures last week and trying to watch what I've been eating...I scored 'critical'...it was practically red water instead of blood! Whenever you score in the'critical' range, the nurse has to draw a vial of blood and send it to the lab for testing. It took 2 nurses 3 attempts before they got 1 vial. I just got an email from the lab that I scored 6.9 this time...still high and critical. Then I got a phone call from Bassett because it seems that one of the nurses forgot to record the instructions to me and they wanted to be sure I knew how to cope with such a high INR. Besides the doctor instructions to hold the Warfarin for tonight, tomorrow and Thursday night and to re-test on Friday what could they say? Avoid sharp and pointed objects (like knitting needles)? They could have easily just said I OD-ed on Warfarin! No wonder I've felt so beat/tired lately. Now I get to go 3 days w/o any Warfarin and after re-testing again, we'll start adjusting the dosage. Wonder how long it will take to get back into range? I've been out-of-range before but never like this!

No comments: