Friday, June 28, 2019

Back On The Track

   We got back on the track on Wednesday with the return of our Forester from the mechanics.  It had a new starter installed and all the joints in the cooling system tightened...and more antifreeze added!  All for the low price of $225.79 and that included the tow from Stewart's in Herkimer to Hillslide's shop in Little Falls and my ride (in another tow truck) from Stewart's to our house.  Can't beat Hillslide!
   Thursday was Fran Fiorentino Davey's internment in Calvary Cemetery in Herkimer.  Since we weren't sure of the Forester's return, Theresa Olsen, the celebrant, offered to pick me up.  Theresa is a friend from the shop (Cooper Country Crafts) in Cooperstown.  Her husband, George, is a woodworker, turning pieces of wood into beautiful objects of art that are also useful.  Herkimer is not unique in the situation of having a fairly large Catholic population (in this case a combined parish and an independent parish) and having only 1 full-time priest.  The combined parish(St Anthony's and the former St Joseph's) shares it's priest with 2 other parishes about 14 miles away.  The full-time priest from St Francis de Sales is rather elderly and not well.  The undertaker was willing to do the internment service but it seemed like something more was needed.  I complained about it and Theresa, a friend from the shop, offered to step-in.  Fran's daughter, Nicole, made some suggestions that Theresa was able to work into the service.  She provided a printed program using Fran's photo and obit (see this blog's entry for Thrus., 2/28/19) as it appeared in the newspaper, and a read-along service that enabled everyone to participate in the service.  Theresa also used a recording of one of Fran's favorite song, On Eagles Wings, to end the service.  It was perfect!  Even the weather cooperated and we enjoyed a beautiful summer day.  We went to the reception after at the Polish National Home in Herkimer and I called Jeff to come down and join us...so I could introduce him and so that Theresa didn't have to make the trip back to our little house in the little woods.  (She does live about 50 miles south east of Herkimer!)
     This morning I did a quick trip to Cooperstown to finally stock my display.  (Remember, I was on my way to the shop Sunday morning when I stopped for gas at Stewart's in Herkimer and the car wouldn't start again.) I didn't want to miss a 2nd weekend so I went down today eventho I'm scheduled to work on Monday.  Good thing I did, too, my display looked awfully poor!  Now all I can hope for is some eager customers to stop in and buy some baby hats and sweaters (How about $225 worth so I can pay my mechanic??  Wouldn't that be nice?)  On the way home I stopped at Massaro's (just before turning on to our road) and got flowers for the cemeteries.  I even got enough to plant some on Fran's grave.  Now all I need is for this good weather to continue a few more days....
    I got home just in time to rouse Jeff and the dogs from their slumber.  We had 1pm appointments at the optometrist's in Ilion and it was already a little after noon.  Of course, the dogs wanted to come with us but it was too hot to leave them in the car so Jeff had to fight his way out of the house.   We made it in time and both had good exams.  I have 'secondary cataracts' but they haven't changed any in a year so we'll just 'keep an eye on them'.  Jeff is doing well, too.  We'll go back in a year.  Neither of us need new glasses now, either.  On the way home we stopped at the fishing site in Herkimer to check the water height/current speed in the canal but Jeff didn't announce any plans to go fishing tonight.  Supper tonight is Italian goulash...to be eaten when hungry!  Maybe I'll get some more knitting done on my navy and white pin-stripe hoodie tonight.  I've got about half the hood finished.  I would like to have it finished in time to leave in the shop on Monday.  Remember, 4th of July is only a week away.  (And Christmas is 6 months from last Tuesday, if you're interested!!)

No comments: