Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Almost Summer

   We had several days of summer-like weather...sunshine, blue skies, warm weather...and then Mother Nature decided we had had enough and we're back to spring-like weather...cool and wet.  Jeff
got most of the yard mowed with the Cub Cadet.  (You can understand how he got the mower stuck when he was looking for Zoey back there.)    I keep  offering to do the edging with the walk-behind mower but he hasn't got it started yet.  Probably needs clean oil, new oil filter,  new spark plug and some gas.  I'll just keep reminding him and he'll get to it...before he goes fishing, I hope.  This is the
old horse pasture between our house and Wally's.   No wonder no one could see if Zoey was hiding in there!
   I worked in the shop on Sunday and it was a



very slow day.  The weather was beautiful and most everyone who came in bought something but not that many people came in...and their purchases weren't that big, either.  Towards the end of the day a teenage boy (not part of our normal age/sex group of customers)  came in and walked around the shop.  After a few minutes deep in thought he brought a small primitive doll up to the counter.  He had played at Doubleday Field earlier and decided to buy a souvenir to take home to someone (...mom?).  There had been only 1 good sale all day.  Two ladies who were traveling via motorcycle came in and one...a young grandmother...fell in love with Sharon's sundresses.  I assured her a quick spin in the dryer would get rid of any wrinkles in the dress from being squashed in a saddlebag.  Her friend kept saying 'he told you to go buy some gifts'.  So she did.  The friend took my card.  She was looking at baby sweaters but wants to wait for the baby to be born.
   I had brought knitting with me but had to stop because my left thumb was very sore and the pain  kept running down into my wrist.  I thought I had put my wrist brace in my bag but I couldn't find it.  Good thing I had grabbed a book or it would have been a long, long day.
  My hat display is about empty!  The back row...with baseball, pumpkin and winter hats is full but most of the girly, flower-trimmed hats have sold.  I'm suppose to work again on June 23rd so I should have enough time to make a dozen hats to fill up the space.  At least something of mine is selling!
  I stopped in Richfield and put some gas in the car on the way home.  I don't understand why gas there and in Ilion...both Stewart's...are .06 less a gallon than in Herkimer.  Jeff thought it was because they're both south of the Thruway and Herkimer is north of it but we were in Frankfort yesterday...also south of the Thruway...and gas at Stewart's was not as low as in Ilion or Richfield.  Oh, well, we're always going to Ilion to Aldi's or the Library so I'll just keep getting gas there...or in Richfield on my way to the shop.  It just seems strange to me.
  I found the end of a skein of Mary Maxim's Baby Blankie, a self-pattern acrylic yarn, and decided to make 1 more bunting/sleep sack.  I always end up with a lot of ends when I use a self-patterning yarn because I don't like it when the pattern shifts in the middle of a row.  And I'm having trouble with one of the repeats.  It's suppose to be a checkerboard
but it's not quiet working out so I'm going to end it and go back to the Fair Isle repeat.  I think there is enough of that one left to finish the length of the bunting (19").  Then it will have a white ribbing on the bottom and an apple
green cord.  The buttons are apple green, too.  The green breaks up the pink nicely and the bunting looks pretty cool...if I say so myself! It need a hat...there isn't any pink left so it will have to be white.  I'll come back and post a photo of the set when it's completed...which is my signal to get busy knitting!
(And the finished project: 
It should fit a newborn up to 3 months old.  The checkerboard didn't repeat quite like I expected but it still looks good.  And it's finished!  

And here's the hat, too.  Finished and all in the bag...my Stock bag...ready for the trip to the shop!  6/13/19)

No comments: