Monday, May 20, 2019

Spring, Summer or Fall?

  As usual here in the Great Northeast in Spring, we can have 3 seasons in 1 day and that's the way it's been this week.  It's something waking up to low 40's and having mid 80's by supper!  It makes folks want to mow their lawns but not us.  We talk about it but that's all that's been done. 
   For one thing, the Cub Cadet is still on the disabled list.  I don't understand mechanics but Jeff has some work to do before he'll be bopping around on it.  Wally from next door towed it for him from the backyard (where the Cub Cadet spent the winter) to our garage (where Jeff thinks it will be easier to work on it).  Wally thought it would start but Jeff didn't but he tried it any way and was pleasantly surprised when it started right up.  Jeff 's been pricing the replacement part and decided he'd try soldering the original first.  Keep your fingers crossed.  I offered to use the walk-behind mower and do the front yard but either Jeff didn't hear me or he doesn't think much of that idea.
  Another reason no outside work has been done is our general medical conditions.  Both of us  have been bothered with arthritis this winter.  Jeff's right hip and lower back kept bothering him to the point where he now uses a cane some days just to walk!  The screws in my old leg break (right tib & fib) seemed to send Morse code to each other much of this winter--especially after I practiced genuflecting in the driveway a couple of times.  My knees snap, crackle and pop very well, too.  I'm so glad I played tennis and rode my bicycle all those years, giving my knees such good work outs.  The chemo I had for Hodgkin's Disease came back to haunt me, too.  (My oncologist told me it would.)  Last month my endocrinologist...deciding I may have had rickets(!!)...upped my Vit D3 to 8000 units/day.  And on Friday after supper Jeff tripped over the metal register that covered the cold air duct by his computer and fell thru knocking all the duct work to hell and jarring his back and hip pretty good.  You can imagine the sight...Jeff on the floor one leg thru the opening where the duct work/register had been, the other beside him on the floor.  I couldn't help him...nor would he let me...but eventually he got his leg back into the room and was able to roll over and work himself up to a standing position.  The next day he was sore but he said his back seemed to hurt less...like the fall jarred it back into place!  Oh, and we never figured out how the register had been raised so he could trip on it.  It always fit snug to the floor.
   
Well, these are the two sweaters I've been working on since Saturday.  They are both size 6 months and my friend Maggie gave me the yarn I used.  Both 
are done in acrylics on US 4's & 7's, the one above is knit in Patons Asta in Aran.  The one to the right is done with Bernat Softee Baby in Baby Denim.  I want my display to be overflowing this weekend with something to appeal to every grandmother who comes into the shop so I've got to finish these 2 sets (they need hats!)...they knit up fast...then do 1 baseball sweater...it's almost finished...and a couple of more baseball hats. (edited 8:18pm, Tues., 5/20/19)    
   It's time to start closing windows...Fall has returned and that cool breeze going thru the house is not very comfortable!  

No comments: