Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Winter...isn't it over yet?

   Ah, only 1 more day and February will be over and we will be a month closer to the end of this eternal frozen hell called winter.  
   Excuse me, but this year the weather has gotten to me.  I'm tired of being snowed in because our driveway and road are full of snow.  Our Cub Cadet is in pieces because Jeff took it apart before it started snowing intending to fix or replace a major part and switch the mowing deck for the snow blower.  It started to snow and that was that.  There is a shopping bag on the bench in the kitchen with new belts and other parts for it.  Hopefully, when the snow melts he'll be able to put the machine back together...and put the mowing deck back on.  
   Every time we've gotten more than 5" or 6" of snow we've been stuck here...snowed in...for 3 or 4 days until our neighbor got around to opening the road.  At first I didn't mind.  We had plenty of firewood and DVDs and I could stream Netflix,  Brit box and Acorn TV on my PC.  (Jeff is happy with Netflix).  Now my PC won't stream.  Jeff thinks it has a virus and is trying any and all anti-virus programs he can find...so far without any luck.  It shows a program for 10-15 mins than freezes.  Good thing it still runs DVDs!  (I can knit to a DVD but not to a recorded book...they put me to sleep!) 
   I know our neighbor isn't clearing the long road so we can get out. (I finally realized that
when I saw that he usually gets visitors soon after he opens the road.  The guys who store their snowmobiles by his garage want to get to them!)  But does he have to blow snow into our driveway and put more snow on my car???  By the time he's finished and Jeff goes out there the Forester is buried!!  Good thing it's a go-thru-snow car and can work itself out.  Jeff clears around the car and slowly by moving forward and back the car will burst thru the snow and make it to the plowed driveway.  At least the neighbor takes care of the berm at the pavement.  I don't think the Forester could go thru that! 
   I am also tired of falling on that snow covered speed skating rink we call a driveway.  Jeff has gone down on his back (definately not a good thing) and I've gone down on my knees.  We both limp very well and I tease him and challenged him to a race thru the house now and then.  I usually get a growl as an answer.  We tried using kitty litter for traction but that doesn't help much. There are so many foot/paw tracks out there that the problem is as much tripping as slipping.  I am beginning to look forward to the spring mud...except it's slippery, too.
   I did get my income tax refund today.  Quickly started spending it, too!  Ordered more buttons and some filters for our Berkey water tank.  Should go do some grocery shopping before the next snowstorm (due this afternoon/tonight), too.  Hopefully we can get a couple of bundles of firewood at Tractor Supply.  Last time we tried some guy just in front of me bought the last 12 bundles!!  Got to call and order a tank of fuel oil, too.  See how much fun living in a little house in a little woods can be in the winter! 
   

No comments: