Friday, November 24, 2017

Thanksgiving

   Thanksgiving is over...and a nice day it was!  The weather was sunny and brisk but dry and Ed and Sherry both joined us. 
   Sherry brought a bag of dog toys for Fanny and Zoey and a big bag of Rachel Ray grain-less dog food that no longer agrees with her Cocker-Schnauzer mix, Sunny. (I mixed it with the girls' regular dog food and they inhaled it!)  She brought them a large fleece blanket that her dogs love cuddling in but Fanny wasn't interested at all and Zoey lost interest quickly (she preferred chewing a hole in my old comforter and pulling out the batting! Fanny had already done one corner when she was a pup so Zoey thought it was only fair she do another but she didn't stay in a corner!)  One of the toys was a red and green fuzzy tennis ball with rope handles thru it.  Zoey managed to pull part of the red fuzzy fabric off the ball but she at least she didn't 'kill' the ball.  Sherry also brought them rawhide 'cigars' that I saved until this morning.  Fanny destroyed half of hers quickly but Zoey just carried hers' around with for awhile.
   We don't have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner because Jeff doesn't like turkey.  Usually we have roast pork but once in awhile we do a nice London Broil or steaks.  Yesterday we put some steaks on the Ronco Rotisserie, served them with fried carrots and baked butternut squash, baked potatoes and gravy.  I even made baking powder biscuits!  Dessert was an apple pie...that I made in the morning...and a blueberry pie that Ed brought.  I felt generous so I
shared the vanilla ice cream and 'the best chocolate fudge sauce in Michigan' that I had left from my cataract procedure recovery menu.  Warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream and warm hot fudge sauce!!! Excellent dessert if I say so myself.  I sent Ed home with a couple of pieces of his blueberry pie and a couple of pieces of my apple pie and filled my pie dish with the same.  This morning there was a lone piece of blueberry pie left in the pie dish!  I was surprised the apple pie disappeared so quickly since it was my first attempt at one but it turned out pretty good.  Have to do it again.  (When we had first gotten our camp in Speculator my dad was there more than mom and me because of our craft show schedule.  Every time we did make it up there he always raved about the apple pie one of our new neighbors' had made.  Her pie crust was the best he had ever eaten.  And if you knew my dad, you know he was an expert on apple pie.  Well, finally my mom asked the woman what her secret was for the great pie crust because it was a great crust.  Paula just laughed and walked to her refrigerator, took out and handed my mom a box of Pillsbury All-ready Pie Crust.  That became my mom's secret recipe for pie crust, too, and now it's mine.  p.s.  no one told Dad!)
   Today I have to work on part of the hat/scarf order that is suppose to be finished by tomorrow.  I can do it if I actually sit and knit so I better go and get busy.

No comments: