Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Spring Cleaning?? More or Less.

     If you've visited our home since my mom died in 2013 you will know that we still had the toilet frame and riser in the bathroom...and a new toilet seat in it's box on the floor near it.  Jeff said he'd change it but never got around to do it until this weekend when the toilet seat and the riser split company.  Made sitting down very interesting, to say the least.  Anyway, Jeff decided now was the time and started to collect the tools necessary to do the job. After getting the large wrench and bolt cutter from the box in the garage he found out the bolts were too rusted to budge and yesterday decided the reciprocating saw was the best way to go. In a few minutes the job was done...the frame was on one side of the room and the riser on the other...and the new seat was on. He even cleaned the toilet!  Took a lot less time that I ever imagined!  (Sure helps when The Man of the House had been a Supervising Custodian in the Utica Public School district.)  The bathroom looks a look bigger without the frame...and the toilet a lot smaller!  It's like sitting on the floor!!  Fanny loves it!  She can practically climb onto your lap while you're sitting there.  Ever had a nearly 100-lb. dog sit on you while you were taking care of business?  Then you haven't lived with a dog!!  Anyway, it's going to take some time to get use to.  At least no one fell during a middle of the night trip.  Yet.  And it is a good excuse to start Spring Cleaning.
   Friday I'm suppose to meet 2 other members at the shop in Cooperstown but the weatherman is now calling for freezing rain and, since 2 of us live up here, north of Rt 20, the roads might be a little iffy, so we've decided tmorrow will be our 1st clean-up day at the shop.  Only Abby, Sharon and I will be there and we'll only work for half a day but it's a start!  I'll probably wash a lot of shelves. We manage to wash and paint all the walls and shelves in the place every year.  (The shop walls started out as barn boards but there are so many coats of paint on them they are almost smooth 40 years later!) I need a re-do for part of my display area.  I want a better way to display shawls.  Space is at a premium and I used a hall tree last year but I want something different.  Maybe a shelf...for hats... with a hook underneath it with one of those multi-hanger holders? Have to wait and see what the group comes up with.
   I think I'm pretty well set...stock wise.  I have 6 or 7 new sweaters waiting for buttons and zippers and last night I did a baseball hat.  I should be able to do 5 more of them in the next 2 weeks...plus some spring hats, too.  Oh, yesterday I started a size 1 dress, too.  We'll see how that goes.  The shop opens in 16 days!!
   I finally got to see Meryl Streep's latest movie, Florence Foster Jenkins.  It's based on a true story about a rich woman who loves to sing (but can't) and how her husband, played by Hugh Grant, helps her fulfill her greatest wish...to sing at Carnegie Hall. Her young accompanist is played by Simon Helberg, who plays Howard Wolowitz on The Big Bang Theory. He did an excellent job because there is not trace of Wolowitz in his performance!  I understand why this movie did not rake in any prizes at the Oscars, it was entertaining but not nothing great.  I'm glad I got it free from the library and did not have to pay for a ticket to see it.  But I missed the popcorn.
   Jeff still has to finish digging out the Outback.  Wally did a damn good job of adding to the snow on it and it's taking more effort to get the car free than normal.  Hopefully, it will start when it is free in a couple of days.  I hate the idea of going to Cooperstown and leaving Jeff without transportation.
  

No comments: