Saturday, January 7, 2017

Our Trip to Cooperstown

   We went to Cooperstown yesterday because I had an appointment with an orthopedist.  Actually, my 2nd orthopedist but the 1st one doesn't do surgery and he thought I needed some of the junk in my leg removed.  The one I saw yesterday didn't agree...good!  Jeff went with me because he knew if surgery was suggested I'd try to get out of it.  Any way, I got a steroid shot into the base of my old break because it has developed arthritis.  So far so good.  The only pain/discomfort I've had is a tenderness at the site of the injection.  The doctor was surprised I bled so much from the injection!  What do you expect...I take 7.5 mg of Warfarin 5 days a week/5 mg the other 2 days?  The site also turned black and blue overnight...also to be expected.  But I didn't have any of the usual discomfort last night when I went to bed.  If this shot lasts the 3-6 months she said it might, I'll have another one and maybe ask about one for my left knee (where I had the torn meniscus repaired) and have developed arthritis, too.  God, it lousy getting old.
   It was so cold today... the high was 19...the only time I went out was to get wood once and to let the dog in/out a couple of times.  Jeff wanted to go out tonight but I said I didn't want to go.   It was nice and cozy next to the woodstove.  I got the first band finished on the shawl I started yesterday but couldn't understand the chart for the 2nd band...the start of the lace.  I made a couple of mistakes so I put it aside and will try again tomorrow.
   We stopped at the shop after my appointment and packed up my stock.  I haven't gone thru it yet but it looks like none of the hats I made for Christmas sold.  The three 'mystery' sweaters that sold the last day we were open were the fancier little girl ones.  They've been good sellers all year.  And I think I'm all out of them so I guess I better plan on making some of them!  And baseball hats...they're all gone, too.  We're going to open for the season around April 6 or 7...in plenty of time for Easter.  Maybe I'll do some Easter bonnets and pretty spring sweaters...after I conquer this lace shawl.  And maybe make myself another pair of socks!  I finished the pair I started for myself after Christmas and wore them yesterday.  My old socks have been mended so many times there's not much yarn left to sew together!  My mother use to have a saying in Italian that the shoemaker always had a hole in his shoe...must be it holds true for the sock maker, too. 
   We stopped at Fat Cats in Herkimer for an early supper on the way home from Cooperstown.  The fish fry is ok, tasty, etc but I think kind of expensive ($24 for the 2 of us).  Mona's in Mohawk...the purple house on Main St...has a good one for less...but you have to get there early (they close around 2pm).  We both like the Knight Spot in Frankfort but Jeff was driving and he didn't want to go there and we had been there a few days ago. Besides the fast food restaurants that's about all there is! Wish there where others.
  Ok, the fire is out and I can turn off the fans and go to bed.  I'll have to check this posting for spelling and grammar tomorrow.
   When I went to bed last night my face felt like I'd been too close to the fire but I didn't think much about it.  This morning I look like I sat in the sun too long yesterday!  I think it's a reaction to the steroid injection I got Friday afternoon.  I'll watch it and if it doesn't fade I guess I'll have to call the doctor.  But my ankle doesn't hurt and the blush is worth it!  And I was warm all night!!


No comments: