Saturday, October 18, 2014

Remembering Mom and Other Things

   Yesterday was the 1st anniversary of my mom's death.  There were a lot of things that happened this year that she would have enjoyed...like watching and hearing about Jeff's garden, how well the baby hats--flowers, baseballs and pumpkins have been selling in the shop (one year she had made and sold 18 pumpkin hats in 1 day at PumpkinFest!) and of course, the dog's antics.  I don't think she missed the septic tank being dug up!  These photos were taken at a family party.  In the photo on the left, I'm wearing a velvet vest that she had sewed for me...one of my favorites and I still have it.  In the on the right that's her sister, Fran and brother, Pete.  They're gone, too. XXOO  Thanks to the Keeper of the Family Photos, my cousin Mary Morgan, for the photos.  She was able to scan and email these to me.  I think, no, that decides it, the next printer I buy has to be able to do that.  Hey, Santa, are you listening?
    Yesterday I planned on finishing up more baby hats and sweaters....sewing on flowers and buttons until Jeff decided it was a good day to cut and stack wood.  He wasn't outside with the saw for more that 15 minutes when he was back in the house.  We had to go to Lowe's.  The 'foot'...the part of the recip saw that you rest on what you're cutting had broken off.  Now this was the 2nd recip saw he had gone thru.  We got them at Lowe's, both Bosch.  Nothing wrong with the saw, it's just the foot that broke off both times.  Luckily, we bought the protection plan with each saw.  For less than $20 if anything goes wrong with the saw, Lowe's hands you a new one, no questions asked.  Well, it's worth it.  The price for the saw has gone up over the years and saw #3 would have cost $129.00.  Of course we got another 2-year protection plan.  For $19.46 how can you not?  And Jeff really likes the Bosch saw!  Anyway, he went back to cutting wood and I thought I'd be going back to buttons and flowers but it didn't work out like that and I ended up stacking wood.  He'd fill a wheelbarrow and I'd empty it.  Since I would empty them faster than he could fill them I got to sit and relax in between.  I was doing well, keeping up until I got tangled up in a fallen branch and some leaves and fell.  Managed to scramble (?) back up and was sitting in a chair rubbing my sore knees when Jeff looked up and noticed me.  No cuts or bruises, or tears to the jeans, just dirty pant legs...and they were clean jeans!!  I was just lucky he has been removing the bricks I had used to outline/covered an old dry well or instead of falling onto  dirt and leaves I would have hit bricks!  Jeff put the 2 wheelbarrows...full of cut wood...in the woodshed last night because the forecast called for rain and it did!  No sense in creating a swimming pool for the wood!  And, lucky for me, they're wedge into the shed so well, he has to take them out for me to get in to empty them.  Oh, well, guess I'll just have to stay inside today and knit...maybe with a nice fire in the wood stove.  I wonder if there will be a Notre Dame game on TV today?

 

No comments: