Friday, October 10, 2014

Autumn at the Little House in the Little Woods

   I think this is the last week for the garden.  A hard frost is predicted for Saturday night and Jeff wants to pick the rest of the beans, squash, peppers and whatever before then.  There's carrots, sweet potatoes and beets (yuck) but since they're root veggies they should survive.  He bought some celery and broccoli and a whole chicken yesterday so I think a pot of so-ew or st-up  (soup-stew) will be brewed.  He promised some friends we'd take them to the farmer's market in Little Falls on Saturday morning so lunch here on the way home is a probability...you need more than 2 people to do justice to one of his pots of soup!  Maybe I'll do some bread...my Italian bread has been as good what you can get in the store since I started using the Cuisinart his sister gave me to mix it.  Much easier on the hands, too!
   The Harvest Festival last week in Cooperstown was a little damp and chilly but still a success.  The Chamber of Commerce provided the tents and several people from the shop did demos.  Nobody wants to watch me knit so I stayed home...nice and warm and comfy next to my wood stove with a book and my knitting!  I had taken quite a lot to the shop when I worked the Thursday before and my area was well stocked.  About half a dozen hats sold over the weekend and a couple of sweaters, too.  I managed to finish a replacement set in a couple of days and mailed it to Judy.  Now I've got to do some hats...again.
   My clotting factor has been out of control most of the summer...warfarin is such a joy to live on...but finally has gotten back into line.  My doctor increased the dose so I could eat greens (yes, greens are a no-no.  That means no lettuce, spinach, greens and beans...hey, unfair!!) and I've been having my factor check nearly weekly.  Then we managed to edge it up to every other week and now it's up to a month!  The doctor kept the dose high so I can indulge if I get tempted so we'll see what kind of number I score next month.  Never thought that greens would be a diet no-no.
     The furnace just came on...the second time this morning!  I think I should take it as a hint and go start a fire in the stove.  That and it's mighty cold sitting here in the bedroom at the computer.  I've been posting some photos of my sweaters on the shop's Facebook page (Cooper Country Crafts, check it out!).  We're going to move the computer to the living room but Jeff wants to rewire that part of the room, first moving the wall outlet and putting in another one.  That's "inside" work and there's still lots of  "outside" work to be done!  Now that the trailer can be hitched to a car Jeff's been hauling...wood again!

No comments: