Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Pickles!

   Today is Pickle Day!  We've been blessed(?) with cucumbers and today we're making pickles.  We did 15 pints of zesty bread and butter pickles and there are 8 pints of dill pickles waiting for their brine.  Pickles are easier than canning.
   In the next couple of weeks we're going to have a new dry well added to our septic system.  The guy says it looks ( puddling around the top of the septic tank when I do laundry) like the pipes may be full or crushed  or the well itself may just be full.  Pencil that in for roughly $2500...with another $300 for pumping out the septic tank when they do it.  Homeownership...such a delight.  My mother always said don't damn anyone...just tell them to buy a house... and the older, the better.
  The garden is winding down.  Jeff dug potatoes this week and was satisfied with the way the boxes worked.  The plants in the greenhouse are going well and that should extend the season a month or two.  He's already planning for next year!  In-between gardening, he's started cutting wood again so there will be a lot for me to stack.  Oh, so not looking forward to doing that!
   The shop had a fantastic season this year.  Both July and August sales were more than expected.  I had a hard time keeping my area full!  Things have slowed down and I've started working on Harvest and Pumpkin designs.  There will be a Fall Festival in Cooperstown Oct.4th with Main St blocked to cars and vendors set up all over.  Hope the weather is nice that day!  I'll post photos of  my fall sets as soon as I finish one!
  

No comments: