Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Septic Tank Day

   Yesterday we had the 'septic' problem fixed.  Jim...the boss...said the guys would be here 'first thing' so I set my alarm for 6:30 figuring it would give me enough time for a shower before they arrived.  Fanny started her 'guard dog' routine around 6am running from window to window barking and making fierce sounds.  It got me out of bed but I couldn't see anything and the motion lights hadn't come on but I took it as a sign and hopped in the shower.  I was just finishing up when she started up again...this time I heard the truck.  They were here!  Fanny retreated to the bed and I called Jeff and made coffee.  We all waited for the pump man and worked got started.  The tank was full to the top!  No one had ever seen a
septic tank like this!  It's two tanks
each  about 4' across side by side...and deep...the pump man had to keep adding hose...15-20'There once had been 2 caps but they had been replaced long ago (more than the 52 years I've been here) with the single cement slab.  Before the tanks were even empty the guys started looking for the dry well.  Eventually they found it and 
it was...dry!  They don't know why but nothing had
flowed into it in years.  They dug it out and enlarged the hole so the new cement dry well would fit.  Then came a couple of loads of crushed stone...pushed in by the
machine and pretty soon the hole was filled,
leveled seeded covered with straw...and Fanny finally got outside to inspect!  There will be a lot of stones to 'harvest' in the spring before this part of of the yard can be mowed again but the job is done and shouldn't  have to be repeated again in my lifetime!  Even the septic tank cover is now under
ground and not something to avoid when mowing!  Oh, and something I didn't expect, there wasn't any aroma...sewer gas...when the tank was pumped!  (I could have done with out the cost...seems it was by the size of the tank...$302.  Haven't gotten the bill for the dry well yet. Dry well cost $2200.  Total for the day $2502.  Better than Jeff expected! 9/20/14)









No comments: