Thursday, May 17, 2012

POTATOES!



Jeff decided to check the potatoes in the gutter garden in the greenhouse today and this photo(center) shows just sprouted seedling in tub #2. The seedlings in tub #1(left) are about 2 weeks old and seem to be doing very good. In fact, they need to be 'hilled' so he mixed up some soil and added it to the pots, burying most of the seedlings. (rt). He plans on checking the tubs every week and adding soil as the plants grow. If the tub system works when it's time to harvest the potatoes he'll just dump the tubs into the garden and collect the potatoes. Last year we learned that no matter how careful you are digging potatoes, some get nicked or cut by the shovel. Hopefully, this way we'll avoid bruised potatoes!

Tuesday after work I met Jeff and his sister in Utica to pick up her new lawnmower (wouldn't fit in the trunk of her car) and after leaving them at her house went over to JoAnn Fabrics by myself (ahaa!). I had a partial skein of red Bamboo & Ewe sock yarn and hoped I could get some in solid navy and white to make baby socks to go with the baseball hats that sell so well in the shop. No luck with the yarn and I ended up driving home in rush-hour traffic in a terrible rainstorm. I checked the yarn catalogs I had but couldn't find any that I really liked but I ended up ordering some red, white and navy superwool from Webs in Massachusetts. I hope I like what I get coz I ordered 2 skeins each of the red & navy and 1 of the white and when you're making baby socks on size US 0's that should last me a couple of seasons!!

No comments: