Friday, May 25, 2012

Keeping Busy


I've been trying to do a little bit of everything lately...getting almost nothing done! My order from Webs of red, white and navy sock yarn (a washable wool/nylon blend) arrived Wednesday and I tore open the package before getting out of the car...actually while I was driving...very slowly...up the driveway. It's better than I had hoped!! I left in on the rocking chair in the tv room so I can see it from the kitchen and touch it when I went into room to watch tv. And that's about all I've done with it so far. The only not-so-nice-coz-it's-not-a-bad-thing about the yarn is that it's in hanks(not skeins) and will have to be balled. Oh, well, not such a bad thing, really. Just need the time to do it!

Three of the garden rows have flowering annuals planted in a circle of rocks at each end. It's suppose to encourage pollinators...ie bees...but that fat bumblebee still prefers the clover. I want to finish the ends of all the rows tonight or tomorrow but I've got to get some more plants.
I'm using our abundant crop of rocks to finish off the plantings. Every time Jeff tills he's dug up more rocks! There are a couple that are the size/shape of cannon balls!! While I got to plant pretty flowers, Jeff was busy turning the compost and meeting the 3 snakes that were living there...uninvited! Two of them just slithered away when he disturbed them but the 3rd one had a small problem...he/it had become very well acquainted with the working end of the pitchfork. He had to step on it to hold it down to pull out the pitchfork and it repaid his kindness by striking at his shoe. Telling of his adventure at supper gave Jeff the opportunity to express his dislike for the Crocs I like to wear. But since I'm not planning to turn compost...or step on a stuck snake...any time soon it won't cause me to throw out any of my pairs.

Jeff went to his sister's yesterday to build her a gutter garden and I went up after supper to pick him up...and stopped at the Tractor Supply to get a lawn glider/chair that was on sale. Of course it wouldn't fit in my car...it was the floor model ...so the manager offered to take it apart. When we tried to load it in the car again, I noticed one of the wooden back slats was broken. Got my money back. She checked on line and called several other stores to see if anyone had another one in stock but no luck so I saved $150. Hopefully I'll find something in one of the end of season sales that should be starting soon. Darn!! I was looking forward to sitting and gliding by the fire this weekend watching the garden grow.

No comments: